About Marcus Mackenzie
A consensual approach, a healthy dose of humour and the ability to explain complex deals in laymen’s terms are the hallmarks of Marcus’s style.
Although much of his work lies in arranging finance for large infrastructure assets such as ports and airports he also operates in the retail and leisure industries, with a strong presence in the pub chain financing sector. Whether he is representing the asset owner or a credit provider, Marcus believes that the key is getting the deal done in a commercial way.
Given the turbulence of the markets, Marcus believes the key to doing these deals is creating platforms with the flexibility to tap into as many of the key debt markets as possible and being “fully baked” before approaching funders/investors to enable execution to occur very quickly when windows of opportunity arise.
Since joining Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in 1988, he has worked in the New York office (twice) and done a four-month secondment with Salomon Brothers in their Legal Department.
- £3bn innovative refinancing solution for AA Group, acting for the lead arrangers.
- £13bn re-financing and ongoing financing work for BAA.
- £1bn refinancing transaction for Center Parcs, acting for the lead arrangers.
- £2bn refinancing for Associated British Ports.
- £1.6bn financing for Eversholt Rail.
- Solicitor, England and Wales