About Joe Amann
Joe heads our English law practice in Spain. He specialises in international capital markets and cross-border M&A, with a focus on ESG and sustainability. He is a member of our Global Sustainability Leadership Group.
Joe regularly advises corporates and investment banks on a variety of equity and debt capital markets transactions, including IPOs, rights issues, bond issuances, including sustainability-linked bonds, hybrid bonds and convertible bonds. He also advises on cross-border M&A transactions.
During his time in London, Joe was based in Nomura’s Investment Banking and Merchant Banking legal department advising on the acquisition and integration of Lehman Brothers’ European, Middle East and Asian businesses. He was also seconded to the legal department of the Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities division at Goldman Sachs in London, where he advised on structured note transactions.
He joined Freshfields London in 2005 and has been permanently based in the firm’s Madrid office since 2010.
Joe speaks English, German and Spanish.
- Advising international energy group Repsol on the integration of Crédit Agricole Assurances and Energy Infrastructure Partners (EIP) as partners in its renewable energy business, valuing the renewables business at €4.38bn
- Advising Spanish real estate groups Inmobiliaria Colonial and Merlin Properties on the conversion of their entire outstanding bond portfolio into green bonds
- Advising CriteriaCaixa, Spain’s largest investment holding company, on its €200m debut issuance of a senior unsecured exchangeable bond, exchangeable into ordinary shares of Cellnex, one of Europe’s leading operators of wireless telecommunications infrastructures
- Advising international travel technology group Amadeus on its €750m share capital increase and its €750m debut issue of a senior convertible bond
- Advising multinational power company Naturgy on the €1bn refinancing of its deeply subordinated bonds
- University College London, UK (law)
- BPP Law School London, UK (postgraduate diploma in legal practice)
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Solicitor, Republic of Ireland