About Rachael Annear
Rachael is part of our International Data Protection and Cyber Practice with a particular interest in financial services, retail and tech sectors, and the growing impact of AI on the field of data protection. She has extensive experience advising a wide range of organisations on data protection matters and complex global data strategies, against the demands of the shifting global legal and regulatory landscape.
Rachael’s advises leading global companies on cutting edge issues in data. Her work includes advising on international data driven M&A, strategic advice, data crises, regulatory investigations and litigation. She is valued for her versatility in being able to apply her knowledge of data protection law to a wide range of issues from drafting legislation, identifying key business risks during product development or strategic acquisitions through to navigating novel data protection questions in an investigation.
Drawing on her background in IP/IT and information law, combined with her public sector experience she delivers pragmatic and commercial advice that helps clients to manage their regulatory obligations within their organisational goals.
- Advising Deliveroo on the data protection aspects of its £1.5 billion IPO and listing on the London Stock Exchange with a US-tech-style dual-class share structure
- Advising Marriott on the global (excluding US) coordination of its response to its data breach, including engaging with multiple data protection authorities, particularly the ICO
- Assisting a financial free zone on the reform of its data protection legislation
- Advising the Modern Slavery Intelligence Network on data protection matters relating to its formation and pilot phases
- Advising a global technology business on the data protection aspects in relation to its acquisition of a UK based fintech company
- Advising Onfido in relation to a review of its global privacy strategy
- Advising a global social media platform on various data protection issues, including in relation to the EU Digital Services Act, regulatory investigations, the ePrivacy regulation, the Children’s Code and in connection with data scraping
- Advising McAfee in relation to various aspects of privacy compliance
- Advising a European industrials company on the UK aspects of its strategic response following a global cyber incident
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, UK (legal practice course – with distinction)
- Cambridge University (MA in natural sciences and law)
- Licensed to practise as a solicitor in England and Wales