About Mark Appleton
Mark is a Law Clerk in our New York office focusing on M&A, national security, and corporate matters. Prior to joining Freshfields, Mark served in various national security positions throughout the U.S. government.
In the United States Senate he worked as a Foreign Policy Advisor, collaborating with other congressional offices and committees, federal agencies, advocacy groups, and private companies on defense and foreign policy matters. He also served at the U.S. Departments of State and Energy, helping to negotiate and implement a major, multilateral nuclear nonproliferation agreement and advising cabinet secretaries and other senior U.S. government officials on national security, foreign policy, and energy matters.
He has previously lived abroad in Delhi, India as a Fulbright-Nehru Scholar.
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, JD, cum laude; Articles Editor for the Northwestern Journal of Human Rights
- Northwestern Kellogg School of Business, MBA
- Arizona State University, BA, summa cum laude
Not yet admitted in New York. Working under the supervision of New York-qualified lawyers.
Awards and Recognitions
- U.S. Department of State Superior Honor Award – 2017
- U.S. Department of Energy Secretary’s Honor Award - 2016