About Matheus Bastos Oliveira
Matheus is an international associate in Freshfields’ international arbitration group, based in Washington D.C.
Matheus is trained in common and civil law. His practice focuses on foreign investment and commercial arbitrations in the United States and Latin America. Prior to joining Freshfields, Matheus was an associate at a Brazilian law firm.
He speaks Portuguese, English, Spanish and French.
Matheus is currently admitted to practice law in Brazil and New York*.
*Not practicing law in the District of Columbia. Pending application as Special Legal Consultant in the District of Columbia.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Moderator at ASIL Young Arbitrator Debate Series. This house believes that international arbitral tribunals should incorporate the ICCA Guidelines on Standards of Practice in International Arbitration into their procedural orders as a means of increasing efficiency and reducing costs in arbitral proceedings, October 2021.
- Speaker at Webinar at CJA (Young Arbitrators). Arbitrations involving state entities in Brazil, May 2021.
- Moderator at Webinar at CBar Jovem. Investment Arbitration in Latin America, October 2020.
- Moderator at Webinar at Freshfields. The Effects of Brazilian Bankruptcy on Domestic and International Arbitration, September 2020.
- Moderator and speaker at I International Arbitration Day, University of Virginia, January 2020.
- LL.M, Univesity of Virginia School of Law, 2019.
- LL.M, Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV), 2017.
- LL.B, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 2015.
- Exchange Student, University of Lille II, 2013.
- Admitted to the New York State Bar.
- Admitted to the Brazilian Bar - Rio de Janeiro.
- Pending application as a Special Legal Consultant in the District of Columbia.
- Rising Star, Restructuring and Bankruptcy, Brazil, The Legal 500, 2018.