About Dr. Marius Berenbrok
Marius has particular expertise in the ports and shipping, financial services, automotive and media sectors.
He has a well-earned reputation for finding solutions where none seem to exist. This creativity has seen him assist with many complex M&A transactions, take-overs, privatisations and corporate restructurings, often across borders. He's also acted for clients in international arbitrations.
Marius co-heads the firm's ports and shipping group, and is a member of our global investigations steering committee.
He is also involved in our country-focused teams for Greece and South Korea. In Greece, he covers key privatisation matters, while in South Korea, Marius has advised leading corporates on ventures outside the country.
Marius is a participant in the Freshfields German offices’ partner mentoring scheme for female associates.
He speaks German, English and French.
- Advising global technology group Freudenberg on the sale of its IT business "Freudenberg IT" (FIT) to the Canadian IT company Syntax Systems Ltd., a portfolio company of Canadian financial investor Novacap
- Advising Hamburg Süd group, wholly-owned subsidiary of Maersk Line A/S, on the sale of its global dry bulk shipping operations to The China Navigation Company, a member of the Swire group
- Advising Maersk, the world's largest container shipping company worldwide, on its takeover of Hamburg Süd, the seventh largest.
- Advising Hapag-Lloyd on its $4.6bn merger with United Arab Shipping Company, the largest container liner company of the Middle East (ongoing), and on its $5.6bn business combination with the container shipping activities of the largest South American carrier, Compañía Sud Americana de Vapores.
- Advising the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund on the privatisation of Greece's 12 major ports (ongoing).
- Advising HSH Nordbank, the world’s largest ship financier, on its financial restructuring, among others the €10bn second loss guarantee and the €3bn capital increase granted by its public owners, the Federal States of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein, ongoing privatisation proceedings and on numerous corporate law matters (also ongoing)
- Advising Continental, the German automotive supply company, on a number of significant transactions, including the €1.4bn acquisition of Veyance Technologies, the €11.4bn acquisition of Siemens Automotive Group (VDO), the unrecommended takeover by Schaeffler and the conclusion of an investors agreement with Schaeffler.
- Universities of Geneva and Hamburg (law)