About Lena Boucon
Lena is a senior associate in our Tokyo office. Her practice covers all areas of competition law (merger control, antitrust, state aids), foreign direct investment, and EU regulatory law.
Lena has assisted clients in multijurisdictional merger and foreign direct investment filings. She has also been involved in French and European investigation cases. She has worked on cases involving multiple sectors, including financial services, tech, energy and infrastructure, manufacturing, real estate, and retail.
Prior to joining Freshfields Tokyo office, Lena worked at the Paris office of a US leading law firm and at the Paris office of another Magic Circle firm.
Lena speaks French and English.
- Assisting companies on merger control jurisdictional and substantive assessments, including filing strategy, JV full-functionality and complex governance rules analyses*
- Assisting companies on their merger multi-filings and on their merger filings before the European Commission and the French Competition Authority*
- Assisting companies on merger cases involving commitments and on Phase 2 merger cases*
- Advising companies in cartel investigations and subsequent appeals, including a victory on substantive grounds before the French Competition Authority*
- Advising companies on their leniency applications before competition authorities*
- Advising a company on a state aid case appeal before EU Courts*
- Advising companies on their foreign direct investment multi-filings (including USA (CFIUS), Australia (FIRB), UK (NSI), New Zealand) and assisting companies on their foreign direct investment filings in France*
- Advising a trade association on a case involving a Trade Agreement concluded between the EU and a third country before EU Courts*
* Prior to joining Freshfields
- LLM and PhD in European Union Law, European University Institute, Florence, Italy
- Master’s degree in European Union Law, Panthéon-Assas University, Paris, France
- Association des avocats pratiquant le droit de la concurrence ("APDC" French professional membership gathering competition law external counsels specialized in competition law)
- Admitted to the Paris Bar (not admitted in Japan)