About Onno Brouwer
Onno manages successful practices in both our Amsterdam and Brussels offices.
He focuses on EU law litigation and all areas of EU and Dutch competition law.
Onno has acted on complex EU litigation since 1983 and is widely recognised as a leading litigator before the EU and Dutch courts. He is also well-known for his technical ability, advocacy skills, and in-depth knowledge of the powers and functions of the authorities and courts.
Clients appreciate his collaborative approach, which he combines with advice that is always pragmatic and realistic. They also come to him when they need strategic representation in challenging EU and antitrust matters and litigation.
He has a long history of assisting clients in transactions, top-level meetings with authorities, antitrust investigations, including state aid, and court proceedings.
Onno is one of the firm’s country partners for Scandinavia. He has a particular focus on Norway and has represented Norwegian clients in a range of matters and proceedings.
He contributes regularly to publications and courses on EU and antitrust law.
Onno speaks Dutch, English, French, German and Italian.
- Representing several companies in state aid and abuse-of-dominance proceedings before the European Commission and the General Court of the EU.
- Assisting a wide variety of clients in M&A transactions and antitrust investigations and related litigation, including many follow-on civil damages claims proceedings.
- Successfully representing Turco, Heidi Hautala, Guardian Newspapers, Access Info Europe and others in landmark transparency cases before the General Court and the Court of Justice, challenging EU institutions on openness and accountability.
- Academy of Grenoble, France (French Baccalaureate C)
- University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands (law, specialising in civil law and economic and European Community law)
- Amsterdam and Brussels Bars
- Permanent Delegation of the Council of the Bars and Law Societies of the EU to the EU Courts (Court of Justice, General Court and the European Free Trade Association Court) - member and former chairman