About Rob Cant
A corporate lawyer with nearly two decades of experience, covering the breadth of M&A, investments, joint ventures, special situations and related corporate, governance and commercial advice.
Rob has a particular focus on advising financial sponsors, including private equity investors, sovereign wealth funds, government related entities, alternative investment managers and their investee companies.
Rob works globally, across sectors and co-heads the Freshfields Africa business. He has also served as the General Counsel of an English Premier League football club.
Rob's work has been recognised in all of the leading legal directories.
- Advising Holcim on the sale of its stake in Indian cement companies, Ambuja Cements and ACC, for c. US$6.4bn.
- Advising Dubai Holding on the AED7.5bn (+US$b2n) sale of its interests in Dubai Creek Harbour to Emaar Properties.
- Advising ADQ and Alpha Dhabi on their US$375m acquisition of a stake in OCI's methanol business.
- Advising General Atlantic on its investment into Sun King (formerly known as Greenlight Planet).
- Advising Olive Rock Partners and Cerberus Capital Management on the acquisition of a significant stake in United Eastern Medical Services, a leading specialty healthcare provider based in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising on the creation of KelixBio, a US$750m pan-African biopharmaceutical platform, backed by Development Partners International (through its ADP III fund), British International Investment and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- Advising KelixBio on its founding investments into Adwia Pharmaceuticals, an Egyptian generic drugs manufacturer, and Celon Laboratories, an Indian oncology and critical care specialist.
- Advising Meraas on the establishment with Brookfield Asset Management of Merex, a retail-focused real estate platform valued at c. AED5bn (US$1.4bn).
- Advising Ajinomoto, Japan's largest food company, on its $532m acquisition of a c. 33% stake in Promasidor, a major seasonings and processed foods manufacturer that conducts business in over 36 countries across Africa.
- Advising Gulf Capital on its acquisition of a majority stake in Geidea, the leading payment solutions business in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising China’s HNA Aviation Group on its acquisition of a majority stake in SR Technics, a Swiss aircraft-maintenance service provider, from Mubadala.
- Advising Warburg Pincus and General Atlantic on their acquisition of 49 per cent of Network International, a leading payments processing business focused on the Middle East and Africa.
- Advising International Finance Corporation (IFC), the IFC African Latin American and Caribbean Fund and a private equity sponsor on the sale of their shares in Saham Finances, the largest insurance group in Africa outside of South Africa, to Sanlam and the Saham Group.
- Advising KAMCO Investment Company, one of the largest asset managers in the Gulf region, on its agreement to acquire c. 70% of the shares of Global Investment House.
- Advising Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of Dubai-based specialist IT software, development and solutions business, Mercator, from dnata, a subsidiary of the Emirates group.
- Advising an English Premier League football club as General Counsel, which included advising the club on signing five players during a transfer window when it was reported to have invested more in transfer fees than any other club globally.
- Solicitor, England and Wales (2006)