About Rod Carlton
With more than 20 years’ experience of enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities and courts in the UK and at EU level, Rod draws on industry knowledge, evidential rigour and a keen strategic awareness to help clients develop arguments that play well with the decision makers.
Dividing his time between Brussels and London, Rod acts as strategic adviser to a range of corporates, financial institutions, global financial investors and governmental bodies. Rod’s practice spans merger control, antitrust, State aid and sector-specific economic regulation, with particular focus on the pharma, financial services, telecoms, media, technology, consumer products, energy and transport sectors. Rod is ranked in Band 1 of the Chambers directory. His work has also been recognised in the Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers report and Global Competition Review.
- Advising BT/Openreach on its fibre network build and commercial business model to deliver “full-fibre” broadband around the UK.
- Advising Zoopla (ZPG Ltd) on its growth strategy – involving commercial arrangements, a string of acquisitions and its recent £2.26bn sale to US private equity firm Silver Lake Ventures.
- Assisting Merck KGaA on the €4.2bn sale of its consumer healthcare business to Procter & Gamble. EU unconditional clearance was successfully obtained at Phase 1.
- Advising CVC Capital Partners on winning all the necessary merger clearances for its sale of Formula 1 to Liberty Media.
- Representing Global Media on its strategic diversification from broadcast radio into out-of-home advertising. The project involved three acquisitions in quick succession, the last of which, Exterion Media, was investigated by the CMA but unconditionally cleared at Phase 1 after an intense review.
- Advising RWE the leading German utility owner of Innogy and Npower, on the UK aspects of its European wide portfolio transformation deal with E.ON.
- Helping BT achieve unconditional competition clearance for its acquisition of EE, a merger that brought together the UK’s largest fixed and mobile telecoms operators.
- Assisting the global healthcare companies Novartis and Boehringer-Ingelheim in securing EU clearance for their complex asset swap deals with, respectively, GSK and Sanofi.
- Chatham House
- Regulatory Policy Institute