About Enrique Carrera
Enrique is an specialist in all aspects of EU, Spanish and international antitrust law.
Enrique’s practice covers the full range of areas across the antitrust spectrum. He has advised numerous high-profile national and international clients on difficult mergers (including EU, Spanish and multi-jurisdictional mergers), cartels (including EU, Spanish and international cartels), distribution agreements, compliance issues, abuse of dominance at both EU and Spanish level, antitrust litigation and EU State Aid matters.
Clients he has worked for include: AB InBev, Cinven, Grupo Bimbo, Hellman & Friedman, Hochtief, Knauf, LafargeHolcim, ThyssenKrupp Elevator, Vidrala and UPS.
He has worked in our Brussels antitrust, competition and trade practices.
Enrique speaks Spanish, English, German and French.
- Acting for Grupo Bimbo (the Mexican bakery multinational ) in the acquisition of Panrico, its major Spanish competitor in a complex "end game" M&A deal which was the first ever transaction cleared by the Spanish Competition Authority under a sophisticated "fix it first" remedy.
- Acting for Hochtief AG on the global merger control aspects of its €18bn takeover of Abertis Infraestructuras, S.A.
- Advising Fresenius and its subsidiary Helios Kliniken, Germany’s first private hospital operator, on the merger control aspects of the €5.76bn acquisition of Quirónsalud, Spain’s largest private hospital network.
- Acting for Vidrala, the leading multi-national Spanish glass contained manufacturer in the strategic acquisition of Santos Barosa, a leading Portuguese manufacturer of glass containers which will enable Vidrala to increase its leading position in the Iberian glass market.
- Acting on the State Aid and merger control aspects of the restructuring of Pescanova. Enrique was part of the team which won the award for "Europe Turnaround of the Year 2016 — Large Company" for the Pescanova deal.
- Universidad San Pablo CEU de Madrid - Law with special diploma on EC Law
- College of Europe in Bruges (Belgium) - LL.M in European and Competition Law
- Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich - LL.M on German and EU Law
- Panthéon-Sorbonne University in Paris - Diplôme d’Études Supérieures (DESUP) on Legal and Economic studies of the European Union.
- Admitted to the Madrid Bar Association (since 2001).
- Member of Spanish Association of Competition Law (AEDC)