About Max Chapman
Max is a corporate associate in the firm's global transactions group, based in the Abu Dhabi office.
He is experienced in public and private M&A, joint ventures and securities offerings and listings, with a particular focus on advising financial investor clients on their investments (including co-investments and minority investments) and exits.
Having practiced at a Wall Street law firm in Hong Kong and trained at a top-tier Australian law firm in Sydney before joining Freshfields, Max has broad experience of large, complex and cross-border deals. He has acted for some of the world's most prominent companies, investment banks and financial investors.
- A number of high-profile regional sovereign wealth funds on a variety of matters, including acquisitions, co-investments and minority investments involving assets in Asia, Europe and the UK.
- A U.S. private equity investor on its bid to acquire a minority stake in the MENA franchise of a global consumer business from a local conglomerate.
- An Iraqi oil and gas company on:
- its joint venture with a Swiss oil trading company for the offtake and marketing of crude oil, and
- the renegotiation of crude offtake agreements with various international buyers.
- *Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan as joint financial advisers to MBK Partners, on MBK Partners' US$1.1bn voluntary general offer under the Hong Kong Takeovers Code to to acquire CAR Inc., China’s largest car rental company.
- *A U.S. private equity investor on the auction sale process for the disposal of its minority investment in a privately-held Chinese insurer to two major European financial institutions.
- *The Series C investors in Ant Group, the digital payment arm of Alibaba, on their exit by way of participation in the high profile and aborted IPO and listing of Ant Group on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- *Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest brewer, on its pre-IPO reorganisation and US$5.75bn spin-off listing of its Asia-Pacific business on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
* Denotes experience gained prior to joining Freshfields.
- J.D. with distinction, University of New South Wales, 2015
- B.A. (Chinese), University of Sydney, 2011