About Sandra Coelen
Sandra acts on complex commercial disputes, often involving multiple jurisdictions, for clients in a range of sectors.
She focuses on both international and domestic arbitration, and acts as secretary in arbitrations under the auspices of the Netherlands Arbitration Institute.
Sandra has also been involved in several competition litigation cases in the Netherlands. In 2016 she worked six months in our London office.
She speaks Dutch and English.
- Representing Volkswagen in court proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court in a case initiated by the Dutch claim foundation Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim.
- Advising ConocoPhillips with enforcement actions following a multi-billion ICC award against Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA), the Venezuelan state-owned oil company.
- Representing a major South Africa-based mobile telecommunications firm, involved in a multi-jurisdictional post-takeover litigation and arbitration dispute in proceedings before the courts of Amsterdam and Haarlem.
- Defending Karachaganak Petroleum, a joint venture between Chevron, Agip, BG and Lukoil, in court proceedings relating to fraudulent trade claims.
- Representing a large Dutch energy company in various arbitration proceedings before the Netherlands Arbitration Institute.
- Advising a Malaysian company, together with local counsel, on bringing damages claims for tortious expropriation.
- Utrecht University, Netherlands (LLM in Dutch private law and International & European law)
- University of Sheffield, UK
- University of Uppsala, Sweden
- the Dutch Association for Procedural Law;
- the Dutch Arbitration Association.