About Paul Davison
Paul brings a calm, considered approach to complex tax and finance matters.
He specialises in finance transactions, ranging from complex structured finance to derivatives, bank and bond debt and other treasury transactions.
Paul also advises on corporate finance and restructurings, and helps clients resolve disputes with the UK tax authorities.
Clients often bring Paul in at a transaction’s earliest stages because of his ability to spot, explain and navigate through complicated tax issues. They appreciate his analytical skills, detailed grasp of accounting concepts and understanding of the technical complexities of financial instruments.
- Advising RELX Group on the simplification of its dual-listed company structure (with a combined market capitalisation of approximately £30bn) into a single parent company listed in London, Amsterdam and New York
- Advising Novartis AG on the sale to GlaxoSmithKline plc of Novartis’ 36.5% stake in a consumer health joint venture with GSK for US$13 billion
- Advising BMI Healthcare on its transfer of ownership and major recapitalisation (including a capital injection, rent reduction and debt maturity extension)
- Advising Trainline and its majority shareholder, KKR, on its IPO and premium listing on the London Stock Exchange
- Advising a number of clients on the implications of the European Commission’s decision concluding that aspects of the UK’s CFC rules constituted illegal state aid, with proceedings launched to challenge that decision at an EU level and advice also ongoing on clients’ responses to HMRC’s enforcement of recovery in the UK in the meantime