About Katherine Del Mar
Katherine del Mar is a barrister (England & Wales), also qualified to practise law in Spain (Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Madrid). She has a broad commercial and international law practice.
She regularly acts for large corporations in commercial disputes. She has appeared as advisor and counsel to countries before the International Court of Justice on various occasions, pleading in both English and French. She is based in the Freshfields Madrid office where she works principally in Spanish and English.
Katherine’s mother tongue is English. She is fluent in French and Spanish.
- Defending and advising a large international bank before the Spanish courts in a claim for over USD $300 million involving issues of jurisdiction, governing law, tort and contract law.
- Representing the Republic of Costa Rica in a maritime dispute with the Republic of Nicaragua before the International Court of Justice.
- Representing the Republic of Costa Rica in contentious proceedings before the International Court of Justice in a case against the Republic of Nicaragua involving claims of transboundary environmental damage arising from road works along the border.
- Representing the Republic of Costa Rica against the Republic of Nicaragua before the International Court of Justice in a contentious case involving claims of armed incursion, sovereignty over an internationally protected wetland, and environmental damage.
- Advising the Republic of Serbia in advisory proceedings before the International Court of Justice involving Kosovo’s claim for statehood, and the interpretation of a United Nations Security Council resolution.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Juris Doctor, University of Queensland, Australia.
- LL.M. (mention très bien), University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- Ph.D in International Law (mention très bien avec félicitations de jury), Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Called to the Bar of England and Wales.
- Called to the Illustrious College of Lawyers in Madrid (Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Madrid).