About Martin Dickson
Martin is an associate in our antitrust, competition and trade group, based in the London office.
Martin advises clients on all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including cartel and behavioural investigations, merger control and foreign investment, market investigations, competition appeals, and compliance and distribution strategies.
Martin has experience of advising clients across a wide range of sectors, with a particular focus on the technology, media and telecoms and consumer goods sectors.
During his time at Freshfields, Martin has spent time in the Washington, DC office and on secondment as competition counsel at a global tech company.
Martin is a member of the UK and global leadership teams for the firm’s LGBTQ+ network, Halo.
- Advising a global tech company on the UK Competition and Markets Authority's online platforms and digital advertising market study and the defence and co-ordination of ongoing proceedings and inquiries before the European Commission and other global competition authorities.
- Advising Cinven and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board on merger control and foreign direct investment aspects of their investment in the combination of group.ONE and the dogado group.
- Advising CK Hutchison/Three UK on its successful appeal to the European General Court of a European Commission decision prohibiting its proposed acquisition of Telefonica UK (O2). Read more about the landmark win here.
- Advising Public Sector Pension Investment Board on its investments in Havfram Wind and NeXtWind.
- Advising Allfunds Bank (and its owner, Hellman & Friedman) on its acquisition of investment fund platform businesses from Credit Suisse and BNPP.
- Advising Suzano Papel e Celulose, the Brazilian paper and pulp manufacturer, on the global merger control aspects of its acquisition of Fibria Celulose.
- Advising a defence company on merger control and public interest aspects of a strategic UK joint venture.
In 2020, Martin received a Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing for his article, "Antitrust.com: Navigating European Enforcement Priorities in Online Distribution" with Alex Potter and Laura Collins.
- BPP Law School (Legal Practice Course), Distinction
- St Catherine’s College, University of Oxford (BA Jurisprudence, Law), First Class Honours
- Solicitor, England and Wales