About Martin Dickson
Martin is an associate in our antitrust, competition and trade group, based in the London office.
Martin advises clients on all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including cartel and behavioural investigations, merger control and foreign investment, market investigations, competition appeals, and compliance and distribution strategies.
Martin has experience of advising clients across a wide range of sectors, with a particular focus on the digital and consumer goods sectors.
During his time at Freshfields, Martin has spent time in the Washington, DC office, as well as assisting Freshfields’ Innovation Team with the development of legal tech solutions.
Martin is a member of the UK and global leadership teams for the firm’s LGBTQ+ network, Halo.
- Advising Meta on the UK Competition and Markets Authority's online platforms and digital advertising market study and the defence and co-ordination of ongoing proceedings and inquiries before the European Commission and other global competition authorities.
- Advising CK Hutchison/Three UK on its successful appeal to the European General Court of a European Commission decision prohibiting its proposed acquisition of Telefonica UK (O2). Read more about the landmark win here.
- Advising Allfunds Bank S.A.U., formerly a portfolio company of Hellman & Friedman, on its acquisition of Credit Suisse’s open-architecture B2B fund platform, InvestLab, and on its agreement with BNP Paribas to create one of the world’s foremost fund and wealthtech platforms.
- Advising BAE Systems on merger control and public interest aspects of its strategic UK military vehicles joint venture with Rheinmetall.
- Advising Suzano Papel e Celulose, the Brazilian paper and pulp manufacturer, on the global merger control aspects of its $11bn acquisition of rival Fibria Celulose.
In 2020, Martin received a Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing for his article, "Antitrust.com: Navigating European Enforcement Priorities in Online Distribution" with Alex Potter and Laura Collins.
- BPP Law School (Legal Practice Course), Distinction
- St Catherine’s College, University of Oxford (BA Jurisprudence, Law), First Class Honours
- Solicitor, England and Wales