About Daniel Dobies
Daniel Dobies represents clients in shareholder disputes, government and internal investigations, and commercial litigation.
Daniel’s practice focuses on civil securities litigation, corporate governance issues, and government and internal investigations. Daniel also has experience counseling clients on OFAC sanctions, FCPA violations, False Claims Act violations and trade and exchange fraud. He has a particular focus in representing financial institutions as they navigate potential litigation and other exposure during agency inquiries.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Daniel served as a clerk for the Honorable Lawrence J. Vilardo of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York. Daniel proudly advocates for social change and has worked on amicus briefs to the Supreme Court arguing for queer and reproductive rights, a criminal appeal regarding improper search and seizure, and a class action on behalf of those who lost heat and hot water in public housing.
- Financial: Represented Société Générale in successfully resolving investigations into its historical compliance with U.S. economic sanctions and other related laws by SDNY, DANY, OFAC, Board of Governors, FRBNY, and NYDFS; Represented large U.S. financial institutions in successfully resolving government investigations into trade and exchange fraud.
- Entertainment and technology: Defended Eros International and its officers in securities class action; Represented special committee of large information services company in response to shareholder demand letter; Represented CEO and CFO of technology start-up in an internal investigation by angel investors.
- Science and environment: Defended 3M and its officers and directors in securities class actions and shareholder derivative actions in state and federal courts alleging failure to disclose certain environmental liabilities; Represented officer of large life sciences company in an investigation into its compliance with U.S. drug safety regulations and related laws.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York and before the United States District Court for the Western District of New York.
- Served as law clerk to the Honorable Lawrence J. Vilardo of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law
- Harvard Law School Exchange Program
- B.A., Art History and Philosophy, Brandeis University