About Andrew Ewalt
Andy is a partner in our antitrust, competition and trade and dispute resolution practices, based in Washington, DC. Andy focuses on US antitrust litigation and investigations, including both civil and criminal matters.
Before joining Freshfields, Andy served for more than a decade at the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice, gaining significant experience investigating and litigating civil and criminal antitrust matters involving a wide variety of industries. As counsel to the Director of Litigation from 2016 to 2018, he worked closely with DOJ leadership in supervising the Division’s civil litigation program during a period of unparalleled activity and success. He also prosecuted criminal cases as a Special Assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia from 2010 to 2011.
Earlier in his career, Andy worked in the Washington, DC office of another law firm, where he defended clients in private antitrust litigation and in matters initiated by the Federal Trade Commission and the Antitrust Division.
He began his career as a clerk for the Honorable Stewart Dalzell of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Andy’s experience includes advising:
- Evonik during trial where he successfully defended the company against the FTC’s efforts to block its proposed acquisition of PeroxyChem, a competing hydrogen peroxide producer;
- Cengage in defending against numerous class actions challenging Inclusive Access programs and on its proposed merger with McGraw-Hill Education, which would have created the world’s largest higher education publisher;
- Novartis on its $5.3bn deal to buy Takeda/Shire’s dry eye disease drug Xiidra;
- On civil antitrust cases challenging mergers and alleged anticompetitive conduct*;
- On criminal cases involving price fixing, bid rigging, market allocation, fraud, and other offenses*; and
- On matters involving many different industries, such as agrochemicals, entertainment, financial services, health care, heavy machinery, insurance, pharmaceuticals, publishing, real estate, software, and telecommunications.*
* Matters handled before joining Freshfields.
- JD, Yale Law School, senior editor of the Yale Law Journal, senior editor of the Yale Law & Policy Review
- BA, Emory University, David Potter Scholar, Phi Beta Kappa
- Vice-Chair of the Insurance and Financial Services Committee for the ABA Antitrust Law Section
- Editorial Board for the American Bar Association’s 2019 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments
- Counsel to the Director of Litigation and Trial Attorney in the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice (2008-2018)
- Private Practice in Washington, DC (2005-2008)
- Law clerk to the Honorable Stewart Dalzell of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2003-2005)
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania
- Admitted to practice in the US Supreme Court and numerous US federal circuit and district courts across the United States
- Attorney General's Distinguished Service Award (2015)
- Assistant Attorney General Awards of Distinction (2015, 2016 and 2017)
- Outstanding Achievement Award from Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs (2008)