About Clara Florin
Clara is an associate in our International Arbitration Group.
She has experience of commercial and investment-treaty arbitrations, advising private corporations, States and State-owned entities under major institutional rules. Her practice covers a wide range of sectors, including oil and gas, real estate and infrastructure.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Clara worked in the London office of a specialist law firm dedicated to international arbitration. She was also a member of Laurent Gbagbo’s defence team before the International Criminal Court.
Clara is qualified in France and England & Wales. She speaks English and French.
Clara’s recent experience at her previous firm includes:
- Representing an international consortium of oil & gas companies in ICC arbitration proceedings relating to a cost recovery dispute arising out of the expiry of a production sharing contract entered into with a Middle Eastern State.
- Representing an African company in LCIA arbitration proceedings initiated by a global ports operator arising out of the termination of a joint venture agreement.
- Representing a UK energy company in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings brought under a power purchase agreement and relating to the cost of the environmental upgrade of a thermal power plant in Eastern Europe.
- Representing a subsidiary of Malaysia’s national oil and gas company, PETRONAS, in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Sudan under the Malaysia-Sudan BIT in relation to a real estate project.
- Representing an energy major in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings against a state‑owned company relating to technical and operational claims arising out of the expiry of a production sharing contract.
- Acting as tribunal secretary in an ICC arbitration seated in London brought under a profit sharing agreement governed by English law.
- Assisting human rights organisation REDRESS with an amicus curiae submission to South African courts concerning the crime of torture under international law.
- King's College London, Master of Laws (LL.M.)
- Paris II Panthéon-Assas University, Master’s Degree (Master 2) in Business Law
- Paris II Panthéon-Assas University, Master’s Degree (Master 1) in Business Law
- Paris II Panthéon-Assas University, Bachelor's Degree (Licence) in Laws
- Solicitor (England & Wales)
- Member of the Paris Bar (Avocat à la Cour)