About Ricardo Gardini de Andrade
Ricardo specialises in cross-border M&A, international contracts, and international arbitration and disputes.
He focuses in particular on the development of Freshfields' Brazilian practice, which aims to assist Brazilian clients operating outside Brazil, as well as international clients litigating or investing/divesting in the country.
In this context, Ricardo has accrued in-depth experience as ‘deal counsel’ in corporate and dispute resolution matters involving Brazilian clients, counterparties, assets, etc.
He speaks Portuguese, Italian and English.
- Advising a Brazilian multinational – the world’s largest meat processing company – and its subsidiaries across Europe, Middle East, Asia and Africa on corporate and litigation matters, including on: the acquisition of one of the largest European poultry producer from a leading Brazilian food processing company; the acquisition of an Italian company active in the leather sector; SACE export credit financing; and the termination of a joint venture agreement with one of the largest European companies in the meat sector.
- Advising a Brazilian trade and investment promotion agency of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on planning, developing, managing and decommissioning the Brazilian pavilion at Expo 2015.
- Successfully advising the Brazilian subsidiaries of an Italian listed company in the telecommunications sector in a highly complex ICC arbitration against the Brazilian Grupo DOCAS.
- Advising a Brazilian conglomerate in complex litigation against an Italian listed company in relation to three large thermal coal-fired power plants in Brazil (successfully settled).
- Advising a US private equity investor on the purchase of hydroelectric power plants in Brazil from a financial institution.
- Advising an Italian investor on the acquisition of a resort located in the Amazon region.
- University of Trento, Italy (LLM)
- Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil (law, JD)
- Member of the Italian, Portuguese and Brazilian Bars