About Hugh Goodwin
Hugh is an associate in the Global Transactions team based in the Tokyo office.
Hugh has experience advising clients in cross-border M&A transactions across a range of industries, including food & beverage, energy, insurance, asset finance and pharmaceuticals, as well as experience advising large corporate clients in global restructuring projects.
Hugh is part of our TMT sector group and has expertise advising on joint venture structures and venture capital transactions, including in early stage investments and technology-driven projects.
Prior to joining Freshfields' Tokyo office, Hugh worked for a leading New Zealand law firm in Auckland.
- The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of Trelleborg Wheel Systems Holding AB, the wheel systems business of Swedish-listed Trelleborg AB, for an enterprise value of over €2bn. Trelleborg Wheel Systems manufactures and sells off-highway tires for agricultural and industrial machinery. Details of the transaction can be found here.
- Advising Toray Industries, Inc. on entering into a joint venture with LG Chem, Ltd. (LG Chem). Under this arrangement, LG Chem will invest US$375 million (around JPY 43 billion) in Toray Industries Hungary Kft., a 100% subsidiary of Toray engaged in the manufacture and sales of battery separator film in Hungary. Toray and LG Chem are to each initially hold a 50% shareholding in the JV. Details of the transaction can be found in our news release here.
- Advising SSE plc on an agreement with Pacifico Energy K.K. (a Japanese renewable energy developer) to create a joint ownership company to pursue offshore wind energy development projects in Japan with a capacity of up to 10GW. The transaction included the $208million acquisition of an 80% ownership interest in an offshore wind development platform from Pacifico Energy for an aggregate value of $208million. See our news release here for further details.
- Advising Ajinomoto Co., Inc on the sale of its entire equity stake in Ajinomoto Animal Nutrition Europe S.A.S., a subsidiary engaged in feed-use amino acid production in Europe, to METabolic EXplorer S.A.
- Advising Eppendorf AG on its acquisition of the centrifuge business of Japan’s Koki Holdings.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation in its acquisition of Danish Salmon A/S together with Nippon Suisan Kaisha.
- Advising Japanese listed companies on their growth equity and venture capital investments and CVC structures.
- Canterbury University, Bachelor of Laws with Honours (LLB(Hons)).
- Canterbury University, Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)(Finance)
Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand (not admitted in Japan).