About Hugh Goodwin
Hugh is an associate in the Global Transactions team based in the Tokyo office.
Hugh has experience advising clients in cross-border M&A transactions across a range of industries, including food & beverage, energy, insurance, asset finance and pharmaceuticals, as well as experience advising large corporate clients in global restructuring projects.
Hugh is part of our TMT sector group and has expertise advising on joint venture structures and venture capital transactions, including in early stage investments and technology-driven projects.
Prior to joining Freshfields' Tokyo office, Hugh worked for a leading New Zealand law firm in Auckland.
- Advising Japanese listed companies on their growth equity and venture capital investments and CVC structures.
- Advising Eppendorf AG on its acquisition of the centrifuge business of Japan’s Koki Holdings.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation in its acquisition of Danish Salmon A/S together with Nippon Suisan Kaisha.
- Advised AIA on the acquisition of the Sovereign life insurance businesses as part of AIA’s acquisition of CBA’s Australian and New Zealand life insurance businesses*
- Advised Fortune 500 company Anixter, Inc. on its purchase of security distributor Atlas Gentech*
- Advised Resolution Life on its acquisition of AMP Life's wealth protection and mature businesses*
- Advised a Fortune 500 medical technology company on a global legal entity integration project*
*Prior to joining Freshfields.
- Canterbury University, Bachelor of Laws with Honours (LLB(Hons)).
- Canterbury University, Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)(Finance)
Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand (not admitted in Japan).