About Valerie Ford Jacob
Valerie is co-head of our global capital markets practice.
Valerie focuses on capital raising, including both debt and equity in the public and private markets, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other business transactions. She also counsels corporations and special committees on corporate governance, securities regulation and investigations.
Valerie is also a co-head of our global financial institutions sector group. She is a frequent contributor to legal and other periodicals on securities laws and financing topics. She is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global, Chambers USA, IFLR1000, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers.
Valerie has been described by clients as “a legend in the business.” She was named Finance Lawyer of the Year at Chambers USA’s 2012 Women in Law Awards. Valerie co-led the Freshfields team that was honored as Transatlantic Private Equity Team of the Year by Legal Week and The American Lawyer for its cross-border work advising Formula One (F1) and CVC Capital Partners on the sale of F1 to Liberty Media. She was named to the Law Dragon 500 Hall of Fame in 2017. She was also honored as a Woman Worth Watching in the 2016 issue of Profiles in Diversity Journal and the 2017 Expert Guide to Women in Business Law, a peer-ranked list of female experts in various divisions of business law. In 2020, she was listed as one of the top Capital Markets practitioners in the United States by Euromoney’s Women in Business Expert Guide.
She also is a member of The Committee of 200 (C200), an invitation-only membership organization of the world’s most successful women business leaders.
Before joining Freshfields, Valerie was the Chairperson at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson.
Capital Markets & Finance
- Penske Automotive Group on numerous high yield debt issuances.
- Underwriters on all of Ares Capital Corporation’s SEC-registered investment grade debt, equity and convertible offerings since its IPO in 2004.
- Underwriters on all of The Kroger Co.’s SEC-registered investment grade debt offerings since 1995.
- Underwriters on all of Republic Services’ SEC-registered investment grade debt and equity offerings since its IPO in 2004.
- Underwriters on all of Sally Beauty’s SEC-registered high yield debt and equity offerings since its spinoff from Alberto Culver in 2006.
- La Française des Jeux on its €1.6 billion IPO and listing on Euronext.
- Underwriters on Alibaba’s $11.3 billion secondary listing on the HKSE.
- Budweiser Brewing Company APAC on its $5 billion global offering and listing on the HKSE.
- Underwriters on 111, Inc.’s $100 million IPO and listing on Nasdaq.
- Numerous IPOs, including of Alamo Rent-A-Car, Charlotte Russe, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Dollar General, Gerber Childrenswear, Jack Eckerd Corporation, Nine West, Payless Cashways, Penske Automotive, Playtex, QuickSilver, Ralph Lauren, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Sally Beauty, Snapple, Talbots, and others.
- KLX in connection with an ABL financing.
- Interoute Communications on the financing of aspects of its €1.9 billion sale to GTT Communications.
- CarLotz on its $827 million merger with SPAC Acamar Partners Acquisition Corp.
- KLX Energy Services on its all-stock merger with Quintana Energy Services.
- KLX Energy Services on its IPO (through spinoff) on Nasdaq.
- KLX Energy Services on its acquisition of Motley Services.
- KLX Energy Services on its acquisition of Tecton Energy Services.
- KLX Energy Services on its acquisition of Red Bone Services.
- Royal Caribbean Cruises on the acquisition by its joint venture TUI Cruises of Hapag-Lloyd’s cruise shipping business.
- Royal Caribbean Cruises on its joint venture with Ctrip.com International and related ship financing.
- Royal Caribbean Cruises on its proposed acquisition of STX France.
- Penske Automotive Group on its $458.5 million acquisition of an additional interest in Penske Truck Leasing from subsidiaries of GE Capital Holdings.
- CVC Capital Partners on its sale of Formula 1 to Liberty Media, and subsequently in various sell-down offerings of the shares of Liberty Formula 1 common stock.
- CVC Capital Partners on its $1.375 billion acquisition of Ontic from BBA Aviation.
- CVC Capital Partners on its $4.7 billion sale of its majority stake in SkyBet to The Stars Group.
- Verisk on the acquisition of SAP’s Content as a Service business and a strategic partnership with SAP to co-develop product compliance solutions.
- KLX on numerous matters, including the $4.2 billion sale of its aviation parts and services business to Boeing and in its review of strategic alternatives.
- Executive officers on the sale of B/E Aerospace to Rockwell Collins.
- JD, Cornell Law School
- BS, Boston University
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York
- Member, the Committee of 200 (C200), an invitation-only membership organization of the world’s most successful women business leaders