About Lauren Kaplin
As counsel in Freshfields’ litigation and global investigations groups, Lauren’s practice includes complex commercial litigation, multijurisdictional investigations, and corporate internal investigations.
Lauren has represented global clients in high-stakes litigation through pleadings, discovery, motion practice, trial, and appeal, has counseled multinational companies in internal investigations and regulatory enforcement matters with allegations including corruption, fraud, and market manipulation, and has advised on effective global anti-bribery, sanctions, and whistleblowing policies.
- Representing Cengage in successful dismissal of multidistrict litigation alleging anticompetitive conduct in connection with digital course material access;
- Representing PepsiCo in commercial dispute with certain bottlers;
- Advising a global retailer in a whistle-blower investigation related to consumer protection allegations;
- Successfully defending corporate directors in shareholder securities class action;
- Successfully resolving without penalty a DOJ inquiry into allegations of bribery by a multinational hospitality company in connection with government contracts in Latin America;
- Representing one of the world’s largest banks in investigations by the Department of Justice and other regulators around the world into alleged manipulation and collusion in the precious metals markets;
- Representing various multinational companies in corruption investigations led by a variety of regulators, including the SEC, DOJ, and World Bank; and
- Advising multinational companies in the pharmaceutical, automotive, financial services, entertainment and news media, and consumer product industries on compliance with US sanctions and export controls.
Lauren is co-director of the US Pro Bono Committee at Freshfields, and her pro bono work includes representing recent immigrants seeking status in the United States, representing an indigent plaintiff in an action against the NYPD for claims of excessive force, and representing a national human rights organization and national policy research institute submitting amicus briefs to various US circuit courts and the US Supreme Court.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School.
- BA, McGill University.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York, the US District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the District of Columbia, and the Supreme Court of the United States.