About Amani Khalifa
Amani is a counsel in the Global Projects Disputes Practice and an arbitration specialist.
She handles large, complex construction disputes relating to projects throughout the MENA region with an emphasis on the real estate and oil and gas sectors. She has been recognised as a leader in arbitration by Who's Who Legal.
Amani is a judge of the Bahrain Court of Cassation seconded to the BCDR. She is an arbitrator on the basketball arbitral tribunal, an independent tribunal recognised by FIBA and an anticorruption hearing officer of the Tennis Integrity Unit. Amani also sits frequently as arbitrator in infrastructure disputes throughout the MENA region.
A sample of Amani's recent experience includes advising:
- A US-headquartered global energy corporation in relation to disputes with its contractor and designer regarding an LNG project in Asia.
- An EPC contractor on one of the world's largest solar plants in potential ICC arbitration against a supplier arising from its supply of defective products, and recovery of sums paid under the EPC contractor's head contract as a result.
- A Middle Eastern energy corporation in expert determination proceedings concerning claims for AED 1.7 billion relating to dredging works in the Arabian Gulf.
- *An international building consortium in a US$230m construction arbitration under a FIDIC-form contract against a Saudi employer, involving office, residential and retail properties.
- *An Emirati state-owned real estate development company seeking the annulment of a US$300m arbitral award before the Dubai Courts.
- *A major regional contractor in a US$50m DIAC arbitration under a FIDIC-form contract.
- *A leading Egyptian contractor in a US$20m dispute against a German civil engineering company arising from the implementation of a major infrastructure project following the floatation of the Egyptian pound.
- *A Middle Eastern contractor in a construction arbitration under a FIDIC form contract against an Egyptian employer involving the finishing works for a hotel.
- *A US contractor on a delay and disruption claims submitted to arbitration in respect of a major construction project in Afghanistan.
- *A Korean building consortium in mediation proceedings against an American institutional employer in a US$200m educational development.
- *An Egyptian state-owned entity in London-based UNCITRAL proceedings involving breach of contract claims relating to the privatisation of a large industrial facility.
- *A Ukrainian state agency against a Middle-Eastern state agency in a dispute arising out of a construction and technology transfer agreement in the space industry.
*Lawyer experience prior to joining Freshfields.
- Solicitor of England & Wales
- New York State