About Dr. Daniel Klingenbrunn
Daniel is a corporate and financial regulatory associate in our global transactions practice in Frankfurt.
He advises financial institutions, such as credit institutions and investment firms, and also unregulated companies on financial regulation matters. He has a keen interest in emerging legal issues surrounding fintech, blockchain and crypto-asset regulation. He is a core member of the firm’s Fintech group and regularly contributes articles, commentary and other content to internal and external publications.
During his time at Freshfields, Daniel has spent time seconded to a global bank’s asset management and private wealth business in Frankfurt.
Daniel speaks German and English.
- Advising Nets (via its holding company) on its merger with Concardis Payment Group.
- Advising Nets, and its majority owner, Hellman & Friedman, on the all-share merger of Nets into Nexi.
- Advising a credit institution regarding the provision of services with several cryptocurrencies in ten European jurisdictions.
- Regularly advising regulated institutions in qualifying holding assessments with BaFin, the German Central Bank and the ECB.
- Part of the multi-jurisdictional Freshfields team producing a global report exploring whether and how legal frameworks allow for - and incentivise – investors to consider sustainability impact across major markets for the Principles for Responsible Investment (‘PRI’), United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (‘UNEPFI’) and The Generation Foundation.
Daniel completed his legal education at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg and at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. He served his legal traineeship (Referendariat) at the Higher Regional Court of Hamburg, including a stage at the European Central Bank (ECB). He was admitted to the bar as Rechtsanwalt in 2018.
- Rechtsanwalt (2018)
- Dr. iur. (2018, Bucerius Law School)
- Bachelor of Laws - LL.B. (2011, Bucerius Law School)