About Meredith Kotler
Meredith specializes in high-stakes litigation, including securities, M&A, and shareholder disputes. She represents multi-national companies, financial institutions, and their boards and management in significant securities class actions, having secured important dismissals in both federal and state courts. As major M&A transactions and board-level controversies continue to receive scrutiny, Meredith has defended companies, their management and boards, and their financial advisors in litigation relating to dozens of transactions with a cumulative value of over $150 billion in the last six years alone. She has also played a leading role in many matters raising novel corporate governance issues.
From 1998 to 2004, Meredith served as an Assistant US Attorney in the Southern District of New York, including as Deputy Chief Appellate Attorney. She often speaks on litigation panels, and her writings on the latest developments in Delaware courts and securities litigation have been published in the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and other outlets.
Meredith’s recent representations include:
- 3M Company, several officers, and directors in securities class action and related shareholder derivative suits based on alleged failure to disclose contingent environmental liabilities; both suits dismissed with prejudice.
- AstraZeneca, CEO, and several other executives in securities class action challenging statements regarding clinical trial of its COVID-19 vaccine; motion to dismiss granted.
- Tyson Foods and officers and directors in securities class action alleging failure to disclose purportedly insufficient COVID-19 safety protocols at Tyson facilities; defeated appointment of lead plaintiff.
- Energy Recovery in securities class action filed in connection with termination of licensing agreement; case voluntarily dismissed.
- Centessa Pharmaceuticals, CEO, and several other officers and directors in securities class action challenging statements made in connection with IPO regarding clinical trial of experimental treatment.
- Amarin Corporation and executives in securities class action and derivative suits alleging failure to disclose risks from patent prosecution litigation concerning key cardiac drug; derivative suit voluntarily dismissed.
- Apyx Medical, CEO, and CFO in securities class action based on issuance of FDA medical device safety communication.
- Board of Directors of Ambac Financial in Delaware Chancery stockholder challenge to director compensation; case favorably resolved.
- AstraZeneca as alleged controlling stockholder of Viela Bio in Delaware Chancery stockholder challenge to Horizon’s acquisition of Viela.
- SourceHOV in appeal to Delaware Supreme Court after adverse judgment in appraisal action before Delaware Chancery Court.
- Special Committee of Board of Directors of Emerald Holding in Delaware Chancery stockholder challenge to $400 million PIPE by controlling stockholder Onex Corporation.
Meredith received a J.D. degree, cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1996 and an undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from Princeton University in 1992. In 1997, she clerked for the Honorable Barbara S. Jones of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- April 26, 2023
“Guidance and Clarifications for Boards and Practitioners” with The Hon. Nathan A. Cook
9th Annual Berkeley M&A and the Boardroom Forum
- January 18, 2023
“Delaware Litigation Developments” Panel
PLI's Mergers & Acquisitions 2023: Advanced Trends and Developments
- May 26, 2022
“Delaware Law Developments 2022: What All Business Lawyers Need to Know”
PLI’s Delaware Law Developments 2022
- February 2, 2022
“Securities Litigation Major Cases and Trends: Goldman and other Important Cases”
10th Annual Securities Litigation & Enforcement Institute
- October 28, 2021
“Navigating Responsible Board Oversight and Shareholder Demands for Books and Records”
The Society for Corporate Governance Fall Conference
- March 19, 2021
“A New Generation of Leaders in Securities Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement”
New York City Bar Association's 9th Annual Securities Litigation & Enforcement Institute
- January 29, 2021
“Delaware Litigation Developments” with The Hon. Morgan T. Zurn
PLI's Mergers & Acquisitions 2021: Advanced Trends & Developments