About Meredith Kotler
Meredith specializes in high-stakes litigation, including securities, M&A, and shareholder disputes. She regularly represents multinational companies, financial institutions, and their boards and management in significant securities class actions, having secured important dismissals in both federal and state courts. As major M&A transactions and board-level controversies continue to receive scrutiny, Meredith has defended companies, their management and boards, and their financial advisors in litigation relating to dozens of transactions with a cumulative value of over $100 billion in the last six years alone. She has played a leading role in many matters raising novel corporate governance issues, including the corporate control battle between National Amusements, Inc. and CBS Corporation, for which she was named “Litigator of the Week” by The American Lawyer for her successful representation of NAI and the Redstones.
Meredith has spoken on securities, corporate governance, and M&A litigation issues and other topics at the SIFMA C&L Annual Seminar, Tulane Law School’s Corporate Law Institute, New York City Bar Association, the Practising Law Institute, The SEC Institute, and the Compliance, Governance and Oversight Council. Her writings on the latest developments in Delaware courts and securities and deal litigation have been published in the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and other outlets. Meredith is recognized by Chambers for Securities Litigation, as a Leading Lawyer for M&A Litigation by Legal 500, and as a National Practice Area Star for Securities Litigation by Benchmark Litigation, and was named to Benchmark’s 2019 and 2020 Top 250 Women in Litigation.
From 1998 to 2004, Meredith served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York, including as a Deputy Chief Appellate Attorney.
Meredith’s recent representations include:
- Apyx Medical and its Chief Executive Officer in securities class action based on voluntary withdrawal of FDA application.
- Board of Directors of Ambac Financial Group in stockholder derivative challenge to non-executive director compensation.
- 3M Company and several officers and directors in securities class action and derivative suits alleging failure to disclose certain environmental liabilities.
- Director of Intelligent Systems Corp. in connection with securities class action alleging failure to disclose directors’ alleged lack of independence and financial expertise.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Meredith’s representations included:
- Goldman Sachs in connection with its role as financial advisor to Volcano Corp. in stockholder challenge to Volcano’s merger with Philips, securing dismissal of aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty claims on motion to dismiss and affirmance of dismissal on appeal.
- Counsel for controlling stockholder Danfoss in stockholder challenge to its acquisition of Sauer-Danfoss; resulted in favorable resolution one month before trial with concession by plaintiff that Danfoss engaged in no unfair conduct.
- Nationstar Mortgage Holdings in putative federal securities class action challenging the sale of its common stock and secondary offering; motion to dismiss granted.
- Counsel for global financial institution in securing dismissal of several securities fraud actions challenging the structuring, underwriting and sale of hundreds of millions of dollars of collateralized debt obligation notes.
Meredith received a J.D. degree, cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1996 and an undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from Princeton University in 1992. In 1997, she clerked for the Honorable Barbara S. Jones of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- January 29, 2020
“Developments in Securities Class Actions”
New York City Bar Association's 8th Annual Securities Litigation & Enforcement Institute
- January 10, 2020
“Delaware Litigation Developments” with The Hon. Kathaleen St. J. McCormick
PLI's Mergers & Acquisitions 2020: Advanced Trends & Developments
- March 24, 2019
“Litigation Update: Major Civil Cases”
SIFMA C&L 2019 Annual Seminar
- March 14, 2019
“Hot Topics in M&A Practice”
31st Tulane Corporate Law Institute
- February 20, 2019
“What do the latest directions at the Delaware Court of Chancery mean for the corporate law advice you will be giving and receiving?”
M&A, Antitrust, and the Board Room in 2019: Challenges and Conundrums for the West Coast
- January 11, 2019
“Mergers & Acquisitions 2019: Advanced Trends and Developments”
Practicing Law Institute
- December 14, 2018
The University of Pennsylvania Law School Institute for Law and Economics Fall Corporate Roundtable