About Stephan Kugler
Stephan's field of activity covers civil litigation before domestic courts and arbitration proceedings.
His main focus lies on commercial litigation in the automotive and heavy industry sectors, and the defence of follow-on damages claims as well as collective actions (class actions) in proceedings before domestic courts.
Stephan has experience in high-profile litigation cases, including cross-border disputes.
Stephan is a member of Freshfields Criminal Law Skills Group, Global Antitrust Litigation Group and Global Investigations Group.
While at Freshfields, he completed a secondment in the firm's Amsterdam office.
Stephan is fluent in German and English.
- Representing a leading German automobile manufacturer in collective action proceedings pending before Austrian courts and advising in the coordination of various national and international court proceedings as well as criminal investigations
- Advising a global industrial company in numerous follow-on damages claim proceedings, including collective action proceedings, in which plaintiffs assert damages after a cartel court decision. These follow-on damages claim proceedings have been the first kind in Austria and Europe
- Advising a global aerospace company in a criminal investigation conducted by the Viennese prosecution office
- Representing a State in a deposition and sequestration proceeding pending before an Austrian court. The proceeding involves complex questions of procedural and international law
- Representing and advising a German transport company in negotiations with an Austrian railway company concerning the settlement of compensation claims and the termination of a long term transport agreement
- University of Vienna, Austria (Mag. iur., 2013)
- Judicial clerkship (2013-14)
- Austrian bar exam (2017)
- Leiden University, Netherlands (LL.M. Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration, 2018-2019)
- Admitted to the Austrian bar (2019)
- Gained working experience in various international corporations and law firms based in Austria