About Max Lang
Max is a partner in our Global Transactions practice in London and specialises in finance with a focus on UK, German and pan-European transactions. He is a member of our London and Frankfurt banking teams.
His practice encompasses a wide range of banking and finance work, including in particular acquisition finance, real estate finance and distressed investments. Max regularly advises private equity investors, corporates, debt investors and banks on their most important transactions.
Max has in-depth experience of particularly the London and German banking markets. He is experienced in both bond and bank debt products and regularly advises on complex transaction structures involving senior, mezzanine and equity capital. In 2007 and 2008, Max spent time on secondment to the lending group of a US investment bank and the finance team of a US private equity real estate fund.
- Advising Brookfield Asset Management on the financing arrangements in relation to the acquisition of a 50% stake in Harwell Science and Innovation Campus from U+I and Harwell Oxford Partners Ltd.
- Advising Henderson Park on the acquisition, and financing with Natixis, of the Schuetzenquartier office portfolio from Caleus Real Estate.
- Advising a hedge fund and distressed debt investor on investments in various debt products issued by listed and non-listed companies in the real estate sector.
- Advising TPG Real Estate on the acquisition, financing and refinancing of the TechnologiePark office portfolio from EQT Real Estate.
- Advising Kohlberg, Kravis & Roberts Co. Partners LLP, acting in a joint venture with Roundhill Asset Management LLC, on their forward purchase of four Spanish logistics warehouse developments close to Madrid and in Barcelona as part of the expansion of their southern European logistics platform.
- Advising a consortium of investment and commercial banks on a revolving credit facility for Pepkor Europe.
- Advising TPG Real Estate and Round Hill Capital on the acquisition, and financing, of a German student housing portfolio from Deutsche Real Estate Funds.
- a Nordic private equity investor on the financing of P2P transactions in the real estate sector.
- Advising Ares Management Real Estate on its acquisition, and financing, of a European portfolio of 21 logistics assets in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Poland and the Netherlands from Prologis and the simultaneous onward sale of the UK asset to Tritax, and the financing of various follow-on acquisitions in Germany, France and the Netherlands.
- Advising various mezzanine lenders on their investments across asset classes, including restructurings.
- Advising Pandox AB, a Swedish hotelier, on its acquisition and financing of the Radisson Blue Glasgow and The Midland Manchester hotel.
- Advising a US investment bank on their participation in a large Spanish REO portfolio financing.
- Advising EQT Credit Opportunities on various distressed situations.
- Advising Pandox AB, a Swedish hotelier, on its acquisition, and financing, of a portfolio of 36 Jurys Inn branded hotels and one Hilton Garden Inn hotel for GBP 800m from Lone Star.
- Advising Cerberus on the refinancing of a Spanish asset portfolio.
- Advising TPG Real Estate on the acquisition and financing of Arlington Properties, a UK office portfolio, from Goodman Group and Legal & General.
- Advising Cranemere, a US investment fund, on its acquisition and financing of Marmite, a leading European manufacturer of engineered stone bathroom products.
- Advising Brookfield on the sale and related financing arrangements of 20 Canada Square.
- Advising a final bidder on the acquisition and financing of Q Park, a pan-European car parking business.
- Advising AXA IM-Real Assets on the acquisition and financing of a pan-European logistics portfolio from Gramercy.
- Advising Deutsche Bank on a recapitalisation transaction for an energy asset of a European sponsor.
- Advising on the €1.5bn refinancing of IVG Immobilien, a European real estate group, its restructuring, the subsequent financing of the Officefirst portfolio and its sale to Blackstone.
- Advising a bidder on the leveraged acquisition financing for Energy from Waste, a major German infrastructure asset.
- Advising on Simon Property Group's joint venture acquisition financing of 41 Galeria Kaufhof department stores with Hudson's Bay Company.
- Advising Klöckner Pentaplast on the financing of the acquisition of Farmamak in Turkey.
- Advising Charterhouse Capital on the financing and restructuring of the acquisition of Bartec.
- Advising Morgan Stanley Real Estate Funds on the acquisition and financing of various pan-European hotel and office portfolios.
- Advising on the acquisition, sales and financings of various pan-European performing and sub-performing loan portfolios, including recent HSH Nordbank and RBS trades.
Max studied jurisprudence at Brasenose College, Oxford University (BA Hons). He has been admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales since 2005 and is also admitted as a German Rechtsanwalt.