About Eric Leikin
Eric Leikin is a partner in our Vienna office and a member of the firm's dispute resolution practice group.
Eric specialises in international arbitration, with a particular focus on investment arbitration and post-M&A commercial disputes. He has represented clients in proceedings under various procedural rules, most often in the energy, finance and technology sectors. Eric is also experienced in US civil litigation and cross-border compliance investigations, particularly in the former Soviet Union.
Before joining Freshfields in 2015, Eric worked for several years with another leading international law firm in Washington DC and clerked on the Constitutional Court of South Africa under Justice Madlanga. Eric is admitted to practice and is a member of the bar in New York and Washington DC (attorney-at-law). He speaks English, as well as intermediate German and Russian.
- Representing an Austrian leader in the production and distribution of rubber gloves in multiple ICC arbitration proceedings against its Thai Joint Venture partners arising out of the joint venture agreement;
- Representing a renowned European bank in high-value, complex ICC arbitration proceedings in relation to its investment and later sale of its subsidiary in a CIS country;
- Representing a major telecoms company in a post M&A ICC arbitration in relation to alleged technical deficiencies;
- Representing a leading European technology company in an ICC arbitration arising out of a M&A earn-out clause;
- Representing a major European construction company in an ICSID arbitration against Germany under the Energy Charter Treaty, arising out of its investments in the renewable energy sector;
- Representing a leading Austrian energy company in an ICSID arbitration against Bulgaria in a dispute concerning its investment in the country’s electricity distribution sector;
- Representing the Republic of Albania in an ICSID arbitration under the Albanian Law on Foreign Investments initiated by a BVI-incorporated investor in connection with a privatisation programme;
- Representing an Austrian transportation company in a multi-faceted international dispute with a Central European State, including before the European Court of Human Rights; and
- Representing a leading gas import and distribution company in price revision negotiations with a major European gas exporter, involving a long term gas supply contract.
- George Washington University Law School (JD)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (MA)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (BA)
- Admitted to practice and a member of the bar in New York and Washington D.C. (Attorney at law)