About Dr. Thomas Lübbig
Thomas is Of Counsel in our competition group, based in our Berlin office. He leads our competition practice in Austria.
He focuses on EU competition law, especially antitrust, merger control and state aid law. Thomas also practises German competition law and regulatory law in the competition law context. Further, he has an active litigation practice – notably before the EU courts – but also before the German ones.
Thomas is very experienced in getting deals through merger control, including complicated cases with remedy packages. In core antitrust law enforcement, his focus is on abuse of dominance and vertical practices, while in state aid cases he regularly represents both companies and state authorities before the EU.
He works across many industries, but is particularly experienced in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries, as well as in transport and logistics.
Thomas speaks German, English, French and some Italian.
- Advising Boehringer Ingelheim before the European Commission in relation to a transaction with Sanofi in the pharmaceutical sector.
- Advising Helios-Group before the European Commission in relation to its acquisition of QuironSalud.
- Advising the German government, the European Central Bank and the Central Bank of Slovenia before the EU courts.
- Advising various companies in the healthcare, beverage and packaging sectors on competition law matters before the German Federal Cartel Office and the European Commission.
- Advising Post Danmark before the European Court of Justice in two preliminary cases regarding the lawfulness of rebates.
- Universities of Trier, Lyon, Geneva and Berlin (Dr jur)
- Editorial board of the Journal of European Competition Law & Practice (OUP)
- Advisory board of the Competition Law Institute of the German Industry Federations (FIW)
- German Competition Law Association
- Lectures on competition and EU law at the Europa Universität Viadrina, Frankfurt, Germany (honorary professor)