About Charles Magoffin
A partner since 2010, Charles is an experienced pensions lawyer advising on mergers and acquisitions, funding, security, investments, benefit design, member disputes, distress and insolvency and buyouts.
Charles also helps clients with other aspects of the setting up and administration of pension schemes, including trust law, scheme documentation, scheme mergers, investment management, member complaints and disputes.
In particular, Charles has a market leading practice working with financial institutions to spearhead innovative derisking solutions and has successfully developed a reputation in the pensions industry for helping employers to find commercial and pragmatic solutions to pension liability issues in the context of major transactions.
Charles is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers (APL) and is on the APL International sub-committee, where he played a key role in co-ordinating the submission of the APL in response to the proposed changes to the European pensions directive. He has also presented at several APL conferences.
- Advising on a market-leading derisking matter for a leading investment bank and Rothsay Life.
- Doing highly valuable and complex work for the UK Government.
- Advising a leading UK plc on a major contentious matter involving the UK Pensions Regulator.
- Providing valuation, liability reduction and future pension strategy advice to an international communications client in respect of its pension scheme, which has over £40bn liabilities.
- University of Sydney, Australia (first-class degree)
- Qualified as a lawyer in Australia in 1999
- Solicitor, England and Wales