About Tim Mak
Tim’s practice focuses on regulatory compliance, investigations and enforcement, often with a cross-border angle.
In addition to his core compliance, regulatory and white-collar crime defence practice, Tim’s work encompasses dispute resolution in the financial services arena and assisting clients with legal and regulatory risk management. His clients include financial institutions, listed companies, their directors, and market professionals.
Formerly an in-house lawyer in the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission’s Legal Services Division, Tim is recognised by numerous legal publications as one of Hong Kong’s leading contentious and non-contentious practitioners in the financial services regulatory arena.
Over the years, Tim has advised on significant regulatory matters in or involving Greater China, the US, the UK, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan.
He speaks fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Advising numerous financial institutions in regulatory investigations into the sponsorship of Hong Kong listings.
- Advising numerous financial institutions in investigations by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission and/or Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Advising a global financial institution in a regulatory investigation into matters relating to its asset management business.
- Advising a Hong Kong asset manager in a Securities and Futures Commission investigation into trading in various securities in Asia.
- Advising a European corporate in connection with a multijurisdictional fraud.
- Tim is admitted in Hong Kong, and England and Wales.