About Martin McElwee
Martin helps clients manage their strategy in relation to competition law issues and covers all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including merger control, antitrust, market reviews and State aid.
He has acted in a wide range of cases in front of the European Commission and the UK competition and sectoral regulators.
Martin works across all sectors, but has particular expertise in the TMT and financial sectors. In these fast-moving sectors, the application of competition law presents particular challenges, and Martin’s understanding of his clients’ business is central to achieving results for them.
Much of his work is multinational in nature – including cross-border mergers, pan-European investigations and counselling clients on their global antitrust strategy. Many of his cases involve managing a team of lawyers across multiple jurisdictions.
- acting for LSEG in relation to the European Commission’s merger review of its $27bn acquisition of Refinitiv;
- acting for Aon in relation to the European Commission’s review of its $29.9bn merger with Willis Towers Watson;
- acting for Facebook on the CMA’s ‘market investigation’ into digital advertising; and
- acting for Nets (and its owner, Hellman & Friedman) in relation to the European Commission’s review of its acquisition by Mastercard.
- Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge University, UK (MA and LL.M)