About Sarah McGourty
Sarah joined Freshfields as an associate in 2015, she previously practiced national law before specialising in EU and competition law in 2012.
Sarah has significant experience in complex merger control proceedings before the European Commission as well as national authorities that often include complex negotiation of remedies. Her antitrust experience includes cartel and abuse of dominance investigations in the chemicals and financial services sectors at both national and international levels.
Sarah's experience crosses a range of industry sectors including pharmaceuticals, chemicals, energy and telecommunications.
Sarah speaks English, Spanish and French.
- Advising Siemens on the worldwide merger control proceedings of the proposed transformative combination of Siemens' and Alstom's mobility businesses.
- The global merger control aspects of Boehringher Ingelheim’s $22bn asset swap with Sanofi involving their respective consumer healthcare and animal health businesses. The deal prompted merger filings in over 20 countries, including a rare triple 'fix-it-first' phase one clearance from the European Commission.
- Client secondment in the pharmaceutical sector as part of the global in-house competition law team.
- Solvay’s $5.5bn acquisition of Cytec Industries in the chemicals sector, which involved remedy negotiations in order to secure timely phase-one clearance from the European Commission, as well as merger control filings in the US, South America and Asia.
- Solvay’s sale of its acetate tow business to private equity fund Blackstone.
- An online services provider on a sector-related inquiry into data processing in on-line advertising.
- A global financial services company in the on-going investigation, by multiple authorities around the globe, of a suspected cartel in the precious metals sector.
- Admitted to the Brussels Bar (E List): 2015
- Master in European Law, University of Carlos III, Madrid: 2012 - 2013
- Abogada (Spanish Bar): 2008
- Spanish Law Degree: 2002-2007