About Marcel Michaelis
Marcel is a Principal Associate in our white-collar defence and investigations group. He focuses on advising national and international companies in internal, cross-border investigations as well as advising and defending both companies and individuals in all areas of white-collar (in particular in connection with corruption, embezzlement, fraud and money-laundering) and tax criminal law.
Marcel has broad experience in complex internal cross-border investigations and the associated process and crisis management. He is a certified compliance expert and advises globally operating clients on corporate compliance matters, including post-investigation adjustment of compliance management systems. In addition, he is part of our pro bono team defending disadvantaged young people in criminal proceedings in and out of court.
Marcel regularly publishes on corporate compliance and white-collar issues.
Marcel is native in German and fluent in English.
- Advising a global industrial client in a highly complex cross-border investigation into allegations of potential non-compliance with regulatory requirements for various industrial products, particularly leading investigation workstreams
- Providing comprehensive compliance and investigations advice as well as overall strategic guidance for a multinational accounting firm in connection with the insolvency of a German DAX-listed company
- Lead Associate in an investigation for a global industrial client following a dawn raid and an extensive seizure of digital documents by the Public Prosecutor's Office for the cooperative defence of the company. Presentation of the fact findings to the public prosecutors in regular report meetings.
- Advising Europe’s largest automobile manufacturer in relation to the diesel emissions issue, including various investigations required for the defence in civil, criminal, employment and regulatory proceedings worldwide
- Defending several major financial institutions in BaFin proceedings
- Advising a leading FinTech company in relation to an internal investigation related to a cross-border data privacy incident, including related communications with regulatory and law enforcement agencies
- Regularly conducting compliance due diligence in major transactions
- Lead Associate of our criminal pro bono team defending disadvantaged young people in criminal proceedings
- University of Bielefeld, Bucerius Law School (Hamburg) and Brooklyn Law School (New York)
- Doctorate in law, Bucerius Law School
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany
- Certified Compliance Officer (Bucerius Law School)
- Member of the German Bar Association e.V.
- Member of the Wirtschaftsstrafrechtliche Vereinigung e.V.
- Member of DICO - German Institute for Compliance e.V.