About Alexander Monro
Alexander Monro is an English barrister and German Rechtsanwalt, working as a principal associate in our dispute resolution practice based in Frankfurt. He specialises in international arbitration and litigation.
Alexander's main focus is on complex, cross-border, technical disputes. He has advised and represented clients from numerous different sectors in commercial arbitrations under the UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, DIS, and Swiss Rules, as well as in investment arbitration proceedings at ICSID.
Alexander also has significant experience of post-award litigation proceedings in various common-law jurisdictions, including England & Wales and Cyprus, and has been involved in internal investigations in the financial and insurance sectors.
Alexander is fluent in both English and German and speaks some French.
- Representing a major European industrial group in several related arbitrations against its suppliers. The disputes centre around complex technical issues of material science and failure analysis, and the question of whether the properties of the material supplied render it unsuitable for its intended use.
- Representing a provider of gas storage caverns in arbitration proceedings against a construction company and lessees of the caverns.
- Representing the State General Reserve Fund of the Sultanate of Oman in ICSID arbitration proceedings against the Republic of Bulgaria arising out of the collapse of one of Bulgaria’s largest banks.
- Acting for a Swedish medical device manufacturer in an LCIA arbitration against a German company arising out of a dispute over the ownership of intellectual property.
- Representing a Ukrainian real-estate developer in multiple English law governed LCIA arbitrations (and related state-court litigation) arising out of a shareholders dispute for the control of a joint venture for the construction and operation of a major commercial real-estate project in Kiev.
- Representing a U.S. energy company in a Swiss Rules arbitration against a Turkish company regarding a joint venture for the construction of gas-fired power plants in Russia.
- Barrister, England and Wales
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany
- University of Exeter, UK, (LLB with Honours)
- University of the Saarland, Germany (LLM)
- University of the West of England, Bristol, UK, (Bar Professional Training Course, graded "Outstanding")
- Young ICCA
- Lecturer in "Core Concepts of Common Law" as part of the FFA Programme at the University of Bonn, Germany (2015 - 2016)