About Tomoko Nakajima
Tomoko is a senior counsel in our Corporate/M&A team, based in our Tokyo office. She specialises in cross-border M&A, private equity, joint ventures and general corporate matters. She also advises on real estate and infrastructure transactions.
With her deep knowledge of the Japanese market, Tomoko understands the challenges Japanese clients face when entering or acquiring in overseas markets and works closely with clients to execute their complex cross-border mandates.
Tomoko also helps international clients understand and penetrate the Japanese market, and assists them in acquiring and building businesses that are compatible with their home economies – primarily the US and Europe. Tomoko will be able to help navigate the complex cultural and linguistic issues involved in investing in Japan and negotiating with Japanese counterparties.
Tomoko speaks Japanese and English.
- ENEOS Corporation, the largest oil company in Japan, on its acquisition of JSR Corporation's global elastomers business, which includes manufactures and sale of synthetic rubber. Details of the transaction can be found here.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group on its agreement to acquire a 49 per cent stake in VPBank Finance Company Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Vietnam Prosperity Joint Stock Commercial Bank, for a consideration of approximately US$1.4bn. Details of the transaction can be found here.
- Catalent Pharma Solutions Inc. and its Japanese subsidiary (Catalent Japan K.K.) on the acquisition of a carve out business and Teva Takeda's Minakuchi plant in Japan from Teva Takeda Pharma Ltd. Details of the transaction can be found here.
- IHI Corporation on the establishment of an industrial strategic partnership with Astaldi S.p.A., aimed at enhancing the value of each company’s skills and potential through the creation of industrial synergies.
- Toray Industries Inc. on its acquisition of Alva Sweden AB, a manufacturer of cushions for automotive airbag systems, and its two subsidiaries, Alva Confecções S.A. of Portugal and Alva Tunisia SA of Tunisia.
- Seiyo Food – Compass Group, Inc. on the spinoff of their operations of catering and accommodation at sports and leisure facilities in order to focus its portfolio industry alignment. This involved sale of share of its subsidiary which succeeded the spun-off business.
- Advising New Kansai International Airport Company on the concession-based privatisation of Osaka and Kansai international airports. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Carnival Corporation on the ongoing joint development plans of ports for cruise ships with the municipalities. This is a new initiative led by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism.
- Master of Laws (LLM), University of Chicago, US
- Bachelor of Arts (International Studies), International Christian University, Japan
- Legal Research and Training Institute, Supreme Court of Japan
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association
- Admitted to practise as a Japanese bengoshi
- Admitted to the California Bar