About José Luis Prieto
José Luis specializes in commercial dispute resolution. He has been focused on advising and defending companies, before the State courts and arbitral tribunals, in fields such as contractual liability (including M&A-related disputes and financial disputes), damage litigation (including consumer claims), and regulation-related cases.
He works for major international companies operating in sectors such as financial products, life science, tech, energy and natural resources, real estate, and consumer goods.
He regularly acts as arbitrator in the Court of Arbitration of the Official Chamber of Commerce of Madrid.
José Luis speaks English and Spanish.
- Advising a major multinational financial institution in two linked €500m ICC arbitral proceedings in relation to the alleged breach of the representations and warranties included in the agreement for the sale and purchase of its Spanish branch.
- Advising a major multinational financial institution in relation to a €300m tort claim brought by a former employee.
- Representing a major multinational investment bank on Spanish derivatives litigation, in relation to a €150m claim filed by the holding company of one of the major media groups in Spain.
- Defending two multinational life science companies on various product liability claims brought against them by claimants who alleged to have suffered damage after being implanted with their medical devices.
- Advising a major international tobacco company in relation to an unfair competition claim from one its competitors for the commercialization of allegedly non-regulation-compliant products.
- Universidad de Salamanca, Spain (Law)
- Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom (LLM)
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Civil Law, Associate Professor)
Memberships and additional responsibilities
- Madrid Bar Association (admitted in 2004)
- Club Español del Arbitraje