About Marius Rätz
Marius is a financial regulatory lawyer in our global transactions practice in Frankfurt.
Marius advises investment and commercial banks and other financial institutions (including FinTechs/neobrokers) on financial regulatory law, including licensing procedures, relocation and restructuring, and engaging with financial regulators.
Marius has a particular focus on securities and payment services, and advises across a wide range of products and business lines, with particular expertise in private wealth management, retail and prime brokerage, payment solutions and links to market infrastructure.
He regularly presents to clients, recently on the revision of the MiFIR framework, and is a subject matter expert on client asset protection.
Marius speaks English and German.
- Advising a leading investment bank on implementing its relocation to the EU across several business lines.
- Advising investment banks and investment firms on matters of client asset protection and deposit protection (in domestic and cross-border scenarios).
- Hellman & Friedman and AutoScout24 (i) on their sale of Finanzcheck to smava, and (ii) on their acquisition of Leasingmarkt.
- Advising Landeskreditbank Baden-Württemberg on the legal protection against the classification by the European Central Bank (ECB) of the bank as a significant institution.
- Marius studied law at the University of Bonn (Germany), Kyushu University (Fukuoka, Japan) and Columbia University (New York, U.S.).
- Columbia Law School, New York (LL.M.)
- He served his legal traineeship at the Kammergericht Berlin, including seats at the Federal Ministry of Justice in Berlin and the German Embassy in Tokyo.
- Marius joined Freshfields in 2012 as a trainee at the office in Cologne and has been admitted as a lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) when he joined the Frankfurt office.
- Marius is a member of the German-American Lawyers' Association.