About Brian Rance
A finance partner based in our New York office, Brian is known for his deep knowledge of the laws that impact the financial industry, including securities, commodities, banking, commercial and insolvency laws.
Brian represents commercial and investment banks, insurance companies, managed investment funds and other financial institutions in a wide variety of domestic and international financial and corporate transactions, such as complex structured financings, commercial bank and other private financings, institutional private placements and debt-to-equity conversions.
In particular, Brian has been instrumental in developing new commercial and retail financial products, structuring investment funds and creating a derivatives product vehicle for a major New York bank.
- Advising Amtek Auto, an Indian integrated components manufacturer, on its acquisition of the Neumayer Tekfor Group, an German automotive component supplier that filed for insolvency and then went through a large protective shield process (Schutzschirmverfahren).
- Advising Klöckner Pentaplast on its financial restructuring in the context of which Strategic Value Partners acquired a majority stake.
- Advising Citigroup Global Markets as initial purchaser and placement agent in connection with a cash-flow collateralised loan obligation transaction managed by Guggenheim Investment Management.
- Advising JPMorgan Chase Bank on the forward purchase of paper pulp from a major Brazilian paper producer.
- Advising a consortium of banks in an EU country on the structure of a financial guarantee arrangement.
- Advising Citi in connection with the Babson CLO 2011 – I.
- Advising on the COA Tempus CLO, a $512.75m arbitrage collateralised loan obligation backed primarily by senior secured bank loans, underwritten by Citigroup Global Markets.
- Advising Citibank and its affiliates in connection with a sale of approximately $12bn outstanding principal amount of leveraged loans to several private equity funds advised by Apollo Management, GSO Partners, Texas Pacific Group and TPG-Axon.
- Advising Morgan Stanley in connection with its provision of credit facilities to four new vehicles formed by funds managed by Thomas H. Lee, Bain Capital, Silver Lake Partners and Quadrangle, with the proceeds being used to purchase from Morgan Stanley over $10bn of debt facilities previously made available to several private equity-owned borrowers.
- Advising JPMorgan Chase in connection with the commodity financing of the Peruvian subsidiary of a large Brazilian mining company.
- Advising Société Générale in connection with a $500m synthetic bond buyback to be effected by a large US bank holding company.
- Advising Chicago Fundamental Investment Partners on a newly formed special purpose vehicle, formed to invest in a portfolio of $400m of syndicated bank loans, with financing provided by Goldman Sachs through a credit default swap for the benefit of a balance sheet provider.
- Advising Chicago Fundamental Investment Partners regarding claims by the client against Lehman Brothers-related entities.
- Advising Morgan Stanley on the sale and financing of various leveraged loans, including the sale and financing of a $300m leveraged loan with three separate private equity funds managed by Apollo Management as counterparties.
- Advising Citigroup Global Markets in connection with a collateralized loan obligation transaction involving portfolio manager GSO Debt Funds Management and their affiliates.
- Advising Citigroup Global Markets on the structuring and issuance of catastrophe bonds underwritten by Goldman Sachs in connection with a reinsurance arrangement for the benefit of Chubb.
- Advising Eton Park Capital Management on the amending of certain existing agreements involving the client and Emerson Reinsurance as fund borrower.
- Advising Goldman Sachs in connection with the development of template confirmations for credit default swaps with reference obligations consisting of credit card-backed securities and student loan-backed securities.
- Advising Citibank in connection with a syndicated total return swap program (together with related back-to-back swaps with members of various underwriting syndicates) entered into with a fund managed by KKR.
- Advising Barclays Capital in connection with its bank loan financing activities.
- Advising a major broker dealer in connection with the restructuring of multiple market value collateralized debt obligation funds into cashflow collateralized debt obligation funds, including related exchange offers.
- Advising UBS in connection with the restructurings of various asset-backed securities.
- Advising a major investment bank on the structuring and closing of various cross-border receivables transactions.
- Advising ABN AMRO on the US aspects of the global demerger of the bank, whereby the Dutch state acquired part of the bank to form a new independent bank.
- Advising a worldwide investment bank as administrative agent and initial lender on a $500m multicurrency credit facility.
- Advising a worldwide investment bank on an investment in a limited partnership formed by another major investment bank for the purpose of investing in a portfolio of US equities.
- Advising a global investment bank on a collateralised loan obligation.
- Advising a large investment bank in connection with various synthetic financing transactions, and on total return swap facilities entered into by the bank with market participants.
- Harvard Law School, USA
- Oxford University, UK (Marshall Scholar)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship in Economics