About Dr. Lutz Riede
Lutz is specialising in intellectual property and technology law, unfair competition, and digital consumer protection law. Lutz has worked across many industries, with a focus on platform regulation, new technologies, digital transformation and industry 4.0/ IoT issues, especially in tech and automotive. He is part of our global IP / Dispute Resolution group.
Lutz is equally comfortable in Soft IP litigation as well as complex and strategic advisory work and IP-driven collaborations and transactions. His focus is on tech and digital issues in connected environments such as the Internet of Things (IoT), and on complex licensing matters, often in cross-border scenarios. Lutz' practical experience is built on his academic background, including a Master's in Information Law and Doctorate Degree in Vienna, a Master's of Law at the University of British Columbia and several years as research assistant at university and research institutes such as the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute.
Lutz speaks German and English.
His recent experience includes advising:
- Volkswagen on a number of digital transformation projects, including the contractual set-up of its IoT production platform, the creation of an automotive cloud, software and IP issues in the context of a global production alliance with a US-American carmaker and several cooperation projects related to autonomous driving technology;
- A global visual media platform on strategic and pre-litigation copyright issues;
- A leading global tech company on trade secrets and unfair competition issues related to the unauthorised use of confidential information;
- A global social media platform on copyright issues related to new European platform laws;
- Deutsche Bahn in consumer protection litigation against the Austrian Consumer Protection Agency related to online payment systems, including in proceedings before the CJEU;
- TIGER Coatings in trademark matters, including on client’s 3D printing business, as well as on various licensing matters concerning its R&D activities, 3D and digital inks business, including JV projects in the Asian market;
- Julius Meinl Group, in trademark and various contractual and compliance matters, including in relation to the set-up of a new e-commerce platform.
- Porsche Family Office in IP matters concerning investments and business in tech and pharma, as well as on trademark and sponsoring issues;
- Ericsson on open source software compliance issues;
- A leading Med-Tech software company in software-related disputes;
- Hutchison Drei Austria on consumer claims in representative actions;
- A global short-term rental platform on compliance issues related to new platform legislation;
- Clariant on licensing and cooperation projects regarding new prodcts and technologies.
- University of Vienna, Austria (Mag and Dr iur)
- University of British Columbia, Canada (LLM)
- Scholar at the Graduate Programme for Information Law in Vienna (LLM)
- Research assistant at Vienna University (Department for European Law), the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for European Law and the Austrian Research Institute for IT-Law
- Rechtsanwalt, Austria
- Austrian bar association, Vienna (Rechtsanwaltskammer Wien)
- Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale (ALAI)
- Austrian IT-Law Society (www.it-law.at)
- Austrian Society for Intellectual andIndustrial Property (Österreichische Vereinigung für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht (ÖV))