About Dr. Lutz Riede
Lutz is a Counsel specialising in intellectual property and technology law, unfair competition, distribution and consumer protection law. Since joining the firm, Lutz has worked across many industries, with a focus on digital transformation and industry 4.0 issues, especially in automotive. He is part of our global IP / Dispute Resolution group.
Lutz is equally comfortable in Soft IP litigation as well as complex advisory work and technology- and IP-related aspects of transactional and JV advice. His focus is on tech and digital issues in connected environments such as IoT, and on complex licensing matters, often in cross-border scenarios. Lutz' practical experience is built on his academic background, including a Master's in Information Law and Doctorate Degree in Vienna, a Master's of Law at the University of British Columbia and several years as research assistant at university and research institutes such as the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute.
Lutz speaks German and English.
His recent experience includes advising:
- Volkswagen on a number of digital transformation projects, including the contractual set-up of its IoT production platform, the creation of an automotive cloud, software and IP issues in the context of a global production alliance with a US-American carmaker and a cooperation related to autonomous driving, as well as on the pooling of client’s software capabilities;
- Deutsche Bahn in consumer protection litigation against the Austrian Consumer Protection Agency related to online payment systems, including in proceedings before the CJEU;
- TIGER Coatings GmbH & Co KG in trademark matters, including on client’s 3D printing business, as well as on various licensing matters concerning its R&D activities, 3D and digital inks business, including JV projects in the Asian market;
- Prolactal GmbH, a group company of ICL, in global trademark matters including opposition proceedings;
- Porsche Family in IP matters concerning investments and business in tech and pharma, as well as on trademark and sponsoring issues;
- Giesswein Walkwaren AG on trademark and unfair competition matters, including litigation, against global competitors;
- Plus City on digitisation projects, including the procurement of a comprehensive set of digital services.
- Clariant on licensing and cooperation projects regarding new products and technologies.
- University of Vienna, Austria (Mag and Dr iur)
- University of British Columbia, Canada (LLM)
- Scholar at the Graduate Programme for Information Law in Vienna (LLM)
- Research assistant at Vienna University (Department for European Law), the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for European Law and the Austrian Research Institute for IT-Law
- Rechtsanwalt, Austria
- Austrian bar association, Vienna (Rechtsanwaltskammer Wien)
- Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale (ALAI)
- Austrian IT-Law Society (www.it-law.at)
- Austrian Society for Intellectual andIndustrial Property (Österreichische Vereinigung für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht (ÖV))