About Julián Rotenberg
Julián is an associate in our International Arbitration Group based in Madrid and specializes in investment and commercial arbitration, particularly in the Latin American region.
Julián has experience advising and representing clients across a variety of sectors including energy, mining, infrastructure, telecommunications and transportation in disputes under the ICSID, ICSID Additional Facility, UNCITRAL, and LCIA rules. Prior to joining the Madrid office, Julián was a member of the firm’s arbitration group based in Washington DC.
His previous experience includes positions as legal advisor on trade, investment and intellectual property policy and negotiations for a government agency, and at the law firm PAGBAM in Buenos Aires. Julián has published several book chapters and articles on international economic law, arbitration, intellectual property and technology, and constitutional law, and has won several academic prizes.
Julián is admitted to practice law in Argentina. He speaks Spanish, English, French and Hebrew.
Julián’s experience includes advising/representing:
- Three international mining companies and their local joint venture in Colombia in relation to an ICSID dispute concerning the State’s indefinite suspension of an authorized mining project due to environmental considerations.
- A Peruvian investor in an arbitration under the ICSID Additional Facility Rules against Venezuela in relation to the expropriation of his investments in the telecommunications sector.
- An Ecuadorian company in a contract-based arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules arising out of the lack of compensation after the government's termination of the agreements regulating the operations of two oil blocks.
- A European energy company in a claim against a Latin American country concerning its investments in the electricity generation, transmission and distribution sectors.
- An international company in an arbitration against a Central American government relating to a concession to operate four airports.
- Harvard Law School, LL.M. (Cambridge, 2020)
- Universidad de Buenos Aires, Abogado con orientación en Derecho International Público (Buenos Aires, 2016)
- New York University School of Law, Visiting JD (NYU Law Abroad, Buenos Aires, 2016)
- Columbia Law School, Visiting JD (New York, 2015)
- First Global Jurist Prize, Winner (Universidad Externado, 2020)
- Andrew P. Vance Memorial Writing Competition, First Prize (Customs and International Trade Bar Association and University of Miami School of Law, 2020)
- Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, World Champion and Stephen M. Schwebel Best Oralist Award (International Law Students Association, 2016)