About Nicolas Rücker
Nicolas specializes in complex and multijurisdictional litigation and arbitration.
He is senior member of Freshfields' German product liability focus group, a senior member of Freshfields' German ESG and climate change litigation focus group and a member of Freshfields' European sustainability focus group.
Nicolas has extensive dispute resolution experience, having represented clients in 180+ court and arbitration hearings. He represents clients both in commercial litigation and arbitration (under DIS Rules and ad-hoc) as well as in mass claims and appellate litigation. He has advised clients in the automotive, healthcare, energy, transportation, food, optical, chemical, telecommunications, technology and private equity sectors. An experienced negotiator, he has been lead counsel in several multi-million euro settlement negotiations. He is also heavily involved in Freshfields' pro bono activities.
He has gained valuable experience in civil appellate litigation while being seconded to the law office of a leading attorney admitted to the German Federal Court of Justice (Rechtsanwalt am Bundesgerichtshof). He has also been seconded to Freshfields' Tokyo, Vienna and Hamburg offices. Previously, he has been a member of Freshfields' patent litigation practice.
Nicolas is fluent in German and English.
- Lead counsel for a US multinational food manufacturer in a DIS arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute
- Lead counsel in defending a leading European supplier of automotive parts against product liability claims brought by an OEM and coordinating the global defense against claims brought by customers
- Lead counsel for a UK multinational oil and gas company in cross-border insurance litigation
- Lead counsel for a UK private equity firm in litigation over claims for damages related to a cessation of rent payments during the COVID19 pandemic
- Co-lead counsel for a leading digital sales platform in a series of connected litigation proceedings over service contracts
- Co-lead counsel for a global private equity firm in a DIS arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute
- Co-lead counsel for a global car manufacturer in a DIS arbitration relating to product specifications
- Team lead in defending a leading global car manufacturer against product liability claims brought by fleet customers and public entities in vehicle emissions litigation
- Developing defense argumentation and advising a leading global car manufacturer on appellate litigation briefs filed with the German Federal Court of Justice in vehicle emissions litigation (defense argumentation was taken up in BGH NJW 2022, 321)
- Advising a leading global pharmaceuticals, life science and chemicals company on ESG and climate change risks
- Advising a global oil and gas company on defences against claims brought by a German NGO relating to alleged greenwashing and misleading advertising of climate-neutral products
- Advising a leading German manufacturer of vehicle components on a product liability dispute with a supplier
- Defending a leading German manufacturer of vehicle components against product liability claims brought by a railway operator
- Advising a global private equity firm in a post-M&A/insurance dispute
- Advising a US global privaty equity firm on dispute resolution mechanisms for a share purchase agreement
- Advising a European multinational paint and coatings producer in a mediation on product liability claims
- Advising an Israeli market-leading manufacturer of consumer products on potential product liability
- Advising a leading global car manufacturer on general commercial and product liability law regarding the introduction of a connectivity app
- Advising a US pharmaceutical company on ADR mechanisms to solve a post-M&A dispute
- Advising a German industrial engineering conglomerate on follow-on damage claims in antitrust litigation
- Defending a German multinational energy company against demands brought by activist investors ahead of company's annual meeting
- Representing a charitable foundation in an ad-hoc arbitration involving several jurisdictions and relating to claims for corporate ownership and lost profits
- Defending a US multinational tech company against patent infringement claims regarding mobile devices and SEPs
- Defending a Swedish multinational networking and telecommunications company against patent infringement claims regarding mobile devices and SEPs
- Defending a Japanese multinational tech company against patent infringement claims regarding mobile devices and SEPs
- Defending a Japanese multinational optics and imaging prodcuts corporation against patent infringement claims regarding optical lenses
- Defending a German multinational manufacturer of automotive parts against patent infringement claims regarding emissions systems
- Defending a German pharmaceutical corporation against patent infringement claims regarding second medical use claims
- Asserting patent infringement claims regarding transdermal patches for a Swiss multinational pharmaceutical corporation
- Advising a Japanese mobile phone operator on the negotiation of patent license agreements
- Advising a German university on immigration law issues of its Ukrainian students (pro bono matter)
- Advising a German NGO on setting up a website linking Ukrainian refugees to volunteering lawyers for pro bono advice (pro bono matter)
Dr. iur. (University of Münster)
LL.M. (London School of Economics and Political Science)
Associations and Memberships
GRUR - Deutsche Vereinigung für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht e.V.