About Robert Scarborough
Robert is a tax partner, based in our New York office.
Robert helps clients structure and close a wide range of complex corporate and financial transactions in tax-efficient ways.
Robert’s broad and deep experience means he can grasp his clients’ business needs quickly. He thinks creatively, developing structures that achieve client goals. His hands-on approach and attention to detail help ensure transactions close successfully.
In addition to his transactional work, Robert has experience advising Swiss and other non-US financial institutions on US tax compliance matters, including the Department of Justice’s settlement program for Swiss banks.
Complementing his practice, Robert taught tax law at Columbia Law School each year from 2013 to 2020.
- Advising Cazoo on its pending $7 billion business combination with US SPAC AJAX I, including a concurrent $800 million PIPE.
- Advising CarLotz, Inc., a leading business-to-business consignment-to-retail used vehicle marketplace, in its business combination with Acamar Partners Acquisition Corp., a SPAC.
- Advising AstraZeneca on its $39bn acquisition of Alexion (pending).
- Advising Li-Cycle on its $1.67bn business combination with SPAC Peridot Acquisition Corp., including a concurrent $315m PIPE (pending).
- Advising Google in its $4.5bn transaction with Jio Platforms, including investment arrangements, and commercial agreements to develop an affordable smartphone with an optimized operating system.
- Advising Clever Leaves, a large-scale pharmaceutical-grade multi-national cannabis operator, in its business combination with SPAC Schultze Special Purpose Acquisition Corp.
- Advising Barings funds as the lead investor in Party City’s exchange offer and consent solicitation.
- Advising CVC Capital Partners on its $1.37bn acquisition of Ontic, a leading provider of OEM-licensed parts for legacy aerospace platforms, from BBA Aviation.
- Advising Paine Schwartz Partners and its portfolio companies on a series of purchases of agricultural businesses and related property with a value in excess of $1bn.
- Advising KLX on the $4.2bn sale of its aviation parts and services business to Boeing and the spinoff of its energy services business.
- Advising Unimin, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sibelco, on its $1.7bn merger with Fairmount Santrol, a leading provider of high-performance silica sand and the listing of the combined company, Covia Holdings, on the New York stock exchange.
- Advising Dubai Aerospace Enterprise on: the acquisition of AWAS, a global leader in aircraft leasing, from funds managed by Terra Firma and CPPIB; and the sale of StandardAero, one of the industry’s largest independent maintenance, repair and overhaul providers, to an affiliate of Veritas Capital.
- Advising Formula One Group (F1), together with its shareholders including CVC Capital Partners, on the $8bn sale of F1 to Liberty Media.
- Advising MSD Capital on its investment in the $4bn buyout of UFC, joining WME-IMG, KKR and Silver Lake.
- Advising Zhongwang USA, a subsidiary of Zhongwang International, on its $2.33bn acquisition of Aleris from a consortium of shareholders.
- Advising Smiths Group on its $710m acquisition of Morpho Detection, a California-based threat detection solutions provider and subsidiary of Safran Group. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- JD, University of Virginia, Order of the Coif and articles editor of the Law Review.
- AB, Harvard College, Phi Beta Kappa.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York and in the District of Columbia.
- Served as chair of the New York State Bar Association Tax Section.
- Served as associate tax legislative counsel at the US Treasury Department.