About Dr. Gunnar Schuster
Gunnar is a corporate and finance partner in our global transactions group.
He focuses on banking regulation, insurance and investment funds, as well as capital markets and takeover work. He has close contact with BaFin, the German financial services regulator, and the European Central Bank.
Gunnar speaks German, English, Spanish and French.
- Advising the Federal Republic of Germany on the post-Lehman stabilisation of the German financial market and the €50bn rescue package for the Hypo Real Estate Group.
- Advising the German Financial Market Stabilisation Fund on the €16.2bn recapitalisation and the €15bn liquidity guarantees for Commerzbank, the nationalisation of Hypo Real Estate and capital support for Aareal Bank.
- Advising various G-SIBs on recovery and resolution planning.
- Advising various credit institutions on external and internal investigations into Libor, precious metals, swaps, foreign exchange and other trading practices.
- Advising UBS Group on the merger of five European wealth management bank subsidiaries into UBS Europe.
- Universities of Heidelberg, Germany, and Chicago, United States
- Former senior research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Public International Law in Heidelberg, Germany
- German-American and German-Brazilian Lawyers’ Associations