About Dr. Julian Siegmund
Julian is a Principal Associate in our antitrust, competition and trade practice group.
He advises on all aspects of European and German competition law, including merger control, cartel investigations and follow-on damages actions. A major focus of his work is on the energy and infrastructure sector as well as on the interface between competition and patent law.
Julian sit on the first Advisory Board to the Global Leadership Team.
He speaks German, English and some Spanish.
- Defending clients from the sugar sector in and out of court against cartel damage claims following a decision by the German Federal Cartel Office.
- Advising an energy group on the creation of a joint venture to commercialise the production of green hydrogen from wind energy.
- Advising RWE in and out of court in support of the defence against challenges of the merger control clearances of the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office in the RWE/E.ON deal at the Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf, the European General Court and the European Court of Justice.
- Advising REWE Group on the acquisition of shareholdings in Aldiana Holding and Deutsche Seereederei.
- Advising Continental with regard to its complaint with the European Commission against Nokia's licensing practice concerning standard-essential patents.
- Advising RWE on financing of acquisition of Con Edison Clean Energy Businesses in connection with the investment of Qatar Investment Authority.
- Advising a leading automotive company in antitrust proceedings by the European Commission.
- Advising an investment fund specialising in renewable energy infrastructures on compliance with unbundling rules.
- Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany (First State Examination)
- King's College London, UK (Diploma in Legal Studies)
- Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany (Dr. iur.)
- London School of Economics and Political Science, UK (LL.M.)
- Legal Clerkship (Referendariat) at the Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf, Germany, with stages at the Directorate General Competition (DG COMP) of the European Commission and leading corporate law firms in Düsseldorf (Second State Examination)
- Admitted as attorney (Rechtsanwalt)
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht (association of German-speaking attorneys, specialising in competition law)
- German-American Lawyers' Association (DAJV)