About Sunil Singh
Sunil Singh is an Associate in Freshfields’ disputes and data/cyber groups.
He has experience advising clients on a wide range of complex, large-scale disputes, both domestically and cross-border. He was part of the Freshfields team that won Commercial Litigation Team of the Year at the Legal Business Awards 2021 for the successful representation of a FinTech in a landmark dispute in the English Commercial Court arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
He also has experience advising clients on various complex cyber-attacks, including data breaches, ransomware attacks, state-sponsored attacks and follow-on data privacy/cyber-security litigation and regulatory investigations. He has advised various organisations including global FTSE 100 companies on the legal and regulatory regimes in the UK relating to responding to ransomware attacks and paying ransoms in the context of ransomware attacks.
During his time at Freshfields, Sunil has spent time on secondment to the firm's New York office.
Acting in a landmark dispute in the English Commercial Court advising a FinTech on the defence of litigation which concerned whether the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic were a Material Adverse Effect entitling it not to proceed with a $1.7bn acquisition of two e-payment companies (Travelport Ltd v Wex Inc  EWHC 2670 (Comm)).
- Acting for an international accounting firm in the defence of a circa £15m claim relating to auditors’ negligence.
- Advising a multinational company providing products and services to the pharmaceutical and healthcare markets with regards to an intellectual property dispute.
- Advising a European FinTech on its cross-border response to a cyber-attack, including: (i) working with criminal, data protection and industry regulators in the UK and Germany; (ii) advising on litigation defence strategy; and (iii) working closely with cyber-forensic experts to mitigate risk.
- Advising an independent investment group on its response to a global data breach stemming from a state-sponsored attack focused on collection of intelligence and commercial data relating to U.S- China policy.
- Advising various organisations including global FTSE 100 companies on the legal and regulatory regimes in the US and the UK relating to responding to ransomware attacks and paying ransoms in the context of ransomware attacks.
Advising an independent investment group on litigation aspects relating to their disposal of the entire issued share capital in a water company for an equity value of £425m and an enterprise value of £814m.
- Advising a global private equity firm on the enforceability of a global non-compete clause in a commercial agreement to manufacture and supply ursodeoxycholic acid for medical purposes.
- Advising a French private equity and investment advisory firm on litigation, anti-bribery and corruption and sanctions issues arising from its acquisition of a global medical device manufacturer.
Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales.