About Sarah K. Solum
Sarah K. Solum is head of US capital markets and managing partner of the firm’s Silicon Valley office. She has extensive experience in capital markets transactions, including IPOs, investment grade and high yield debt offerings, convertible notes transactions and preferred stock offerings. She also regularly represents companies on mergers and acquisitions and advises on SEC compliance, disclosure and corporate governance matters.
Sarah is on the Global Advisory Board of the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) and a Co-Chair of the Northern California chapter. She was also a member of HiPower, an executive leadership program for women. Sarah has been recognized as a leading lawyer by numerous industry publications, including Chambers USA and Super Lawyers. She was named Best in Capital Markets 2019 in Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law Awards, among the 2016 and 2017 Women Leaders in Tech Law by The Recorder, “2017 Women of Influence” by the Silicon Valley Business Journal and 2017 and 2019 “Top Women Lawyers in California” by the Daily Journal.
Sarah is a member of the Board of Visitors at Duke University School of Law. She is also on the Board of Trustees at St. Matthew’s Episcopal Day School. Prior to joining Freshfields, Sarah was a partner at Davis Polk.
Sarah advises issuers and underwriters in IPOs and a variety of other equity and debt capital markets transactions, including:
- IPOs: AMIS Holdings, AppNet, Apropos, CAI International, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Coupa Software, DocuSign, Etsy, Fastly, Fortinet, Forty Seven, GoDaddy, Handspring, Homegrocer, iBeam, Kaiser Aluminum, NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Pivotal Software, Razorfish, Responsys, SendGrid, ServiceSource International, Silver Spring Networks, Splunk and SunRun
- Follow-on and other stock offerings: Atara, Catapult Communications, Chegg, Corcept Therapeutics, Coupa Software, DocuSign, E*TRADE, Endocyte, Fastly, GoDaddy, Mannkind, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Palm, Splunk, SVB Financial, Wet Seal and WinStar
- Convertible notes offerings: ADC Telecommunications, Affymetrix, Cadence, Chegg, Coupa Software, Cypress Semiconductor, DocuSign, E-house, Equinix, Horizon Pharmaceuticals, Lexicon Pharmaceuticals, Pandora Media, Splunk, Wix.com and Zynga
- Investment-grade and high-yield note offerings: AMIS Holdings, Budget Group, El Paso Electric, E*TRADE, Kansas City Power & Light, Oracle, Raytheon, Seagate and SVB Financial
Sarah's experience in mergers and acquisitions and other significant transactions includes advising:
- Pivotal Software on its acquisition by VMware.
- TriNet Group on its Strategic Investment by Atairos Group.
- Affymetrix on its sale to Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- FormFactor on its acquisition of Cascade Microtech.
- 1-Page in its acquisition of Marianas Labs.
- Getty Investments on the take-private transaction of Getty Images by Hellman & Friedman and the subsequent acquisition by the Carlyle Group.
- Sterling Financial on its recapitalization by Warburg Pincus and Thomas H. Lee Partners.
- Palm on the private placement of units of preferred stock and warrants to Elevation Partners.
- E*TRADE on its recapitalization by Citadel Investment Funds and subsequent equity sale/debt exchange.
- Affymetrix on its acquisitions of eBioscience, USB Corporation, True Materials and Panomics.
- Blue Coat Systems on its acquisition of Packeteer and its private placement of convertible notes and warrants.
- Oracle on its acquisitions of Siebel Systems and PeopleSoft.
- NetIQ on its sale to AttachmateWRQ.
- XcelleNet on its sale to Sybase.
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Member, Duke Law Journal
- LL.M., Comparative and International Law, Duke University School of Law
- BA., St. Olaf College, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- State of California
- State of New York