About Justin Stewart-Teitelbaum
Justin’s practice areas include representing clients in investigations of mergers and acquisitions before the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Antitrust Division at the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Justin also provides advice on a variety of antitrust issues, including premerger notification requirements in the United States and abroad, joint ventures, agency conduct investigations, agency Order compliance, and civil antitrust litigation.
While on secondment to Freshfields’ London office (2015), Justin represented clients in mergers before the European Commission, including Phase I and Phase II investigations, third-party merger control strategy, and pre-signing considerations. Justin also advised clients on horizontal restraints analysis pursuant to EC Article 101.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Justin oversaw antitrust merger investigations as a lead attorney in the FTC’s Bureau of Competition. He also represented the FTC in regulatory rulemaking, International Energy Agency monitoring and competitive pricing investigations.
- Evonik during trial where we successfully defended the company against the FTC’s attempt to block its proposed acquisition of PeroxyChem, a competing hydrogen peroxide producer.
- Advising Smiths Group, a London-listed global technology company, on the international competition and regulatory aspects of its acquisition of Morpho Detection, a California-based detection and security solutions company. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Advising Intel, a global manufacturer of computer microprocessors and computing devices and leader in the server and semiconductor processing chips industry, on its $16.7bn acquisition of Altera.
- Advising Novartis on two multibillion-dollar transactions: its joint venture with GlaxoSmithKline to form a world-leading consumer healthcare business; and the $5.4bn sale of its animal health business to Eli Lilly.
- Advising Hapag-Lloyd, one of the largest container shipping lines in the world, on its merger with the container shipping activities of Chile’s Compania Sud Americana de Vapores (CSAV).
- Advising in the defense of a US industrial manufacturer in an FTC Section 5 investigation of alleged anticompetitive co-ordination among US suppliers, resulting in closing of the investigation with no enforcement action.
Justin’s experience at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission includes:
- In the Matter of Fidelity National Financial, Inc. and Lender Processing Services (2014);
- In the Matter of Bosley, Inc., a corporation, and Aderans America Holdings, Inc., a corporation, and Aderans Co., Ltd., a corporation (2013);
- In the Matter of CoStar Group, Inc., Lonestar Acquisition Sub, Inc., and LoopNet, Inc (2012); and
- In the Matter of Pilot Corporation, et al. (2010).
- JD, University of Iowa College of Law.
- BA, economics, Grinnell College.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the State of New York.
- Advisory Board of The Fordham Competition Law Institute, International Antitrust Law and Policy Conference.
- Advisory Board of The Antitrust Bulletin.
- Active participant in the American Bar Association, having served as Faculty on the Antitrust Section’s Mergers Practice Workshop (2013) and the Young Lawyers Division representative to the Transportation and Energy Industries Committee (2011).
- Former lead attorney in the FTC’s Bureau of Competition.