About Don Stokes
Don advises on complex infrastructure and energy developments, investments and finance projects in 'Emerging Asia'.
He has particular experience of power (including renewable energy), telecoms, gas development and transportation projects in Vietnam, Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia and Mongolia.
Don is qualified to practise English and New York law and has spent 19 years working in Freshfields' offices in Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, London, New York and Tokyo.
- Advising Asian Development Bank on its collaboration with Electricité Du Cambodge in developing a national solar park program in Cambodia to exploit its abundant solar resources.
- Advising Sembcorp Utilities in relation to the US$1.1 billion development of the Dung Quat II (750 MW) gas-fired combined cycle power project in Vietnam.
- Led the Freshfields team in advising Udenna Corporation on the acquisition of Chevron's 45 percent interest in the Malampaya gas field.
- Led the Freshfields team in advising the Asian Development Bank, CGIF and BPI Capital on the project bond financing of Tiwi-Makban geothermal power plant in the Philippines – Asia’s first certified climate bond.
- Supporting the US government development financing arm, Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), on the project financing of Myanmar infrastructure company Apollo Towers – one of the first major limited recourse project financings in Myanmar.
- Supporting ACO on all aspects of its landmark solar farm development in Myanmar and Viettel, a major Vietnamese telecoms operator, on the $1.5bn joint venture for the fourth telco operating licence in Myanmar.
- Advised New Kansai International Airport Company (a subsidiary of the Japanese government) on the $13bn privatisation of Kansai and Osaka international airports. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Advising sponsors on various aspects of major development projects in Vietnam, including the Nghi Son refinery project, Quang Tri IPP, Mong Duong IPP, Phu My 3 power plant and several ongoing solar projects.
- Advised Asian Development Bank, in relation to guarantees by CGIF in connection with two listed bond issuances in Cambodia.
- National University of Ireland, Dublin (bachelor of civil law)
- Admitted as a member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Admitted to the New York State Bar
- Registered as a foreign legal practitioner with the Vietnamese Ministry of Justice
- Registered as a Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi with the Daini Tokyo Bengoshi Bar Association in Japan